From: Richard Owlett on
Gery wrote:
> "Richard Owlett" <rowlett(a)atlascomm.net> wrote in message
>
>>Gery wrote:
>>

>>>Im looking at an aplitude response of an ADC fr?n Linear Technologies,
>>>LTC2440 (Figure 11 on page 19 in the data sheet).
>>>
>>>http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1155,C1001,C1152,P1771,D3135
>>>
>>>The deep notches seems to come from a Sinc4 filter, but where are the
>>>other smaller notches comming from?
>>>

>>The plot is not "amplitude response" but "NORMAL MODE REJECTION".
>

> Ok (different name for the same thing i think). But it is the digital
> filters response.

Whoops - while reading " NORMAL MODE REJECTION"
was 'thinking' " *COMMON* MODE REJECTION"
From: jim on

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Gery wrote:
> > "Richard Owlett" <rowlett(a)atlascomm.net> wrote in message

> >> The plot is not "amplitude response" but "NORMAL MODE REJECTION".
> >
> > Ok (different name for the same thing i think). But it is the digital
> > filters response.
>
> Not at all the same. Look up terms you don't understand.
> http://zone.ni.com/devzone/nidzgloss.nsf/webmain/0507703AE80CA60A8625687B006123BF?OpenDocument

Nope wrong again. That does appear to be the amplitude response. They
are just advertising what this particular amplitude response is good
for.

-jim

From: Jerry Avins on
jim wrote:

> Jerry Avins wrote:
>> Gery wrote:

>>> Ok (different name for the same thing i think). But it is the digital
>>> filters response.
>> Not at all the same. Look up terms you don't understand.
>> http://zone.ni.com/devzone/nidzgloss.nsf/webmain/0507703AE80CA60A8625687B006123BF?OpenDocument
>
> Nope wrong again. That does appear to be the amplitude response. They
> are just advertising what this particular amplitude response is good
> for.

Frequency response of a device is related to its output as a function of
its excitation frequency. Its normal mode rejection has nothing to do
with the device's excitation, but rather to the effect of induced noise
on its connecting circuitry. Those are different in my view.

Noise at power-line frequency and its harmonics is apparently canceled
by integrating the signal for a whole number of periods of the line.
Such integration affects noise and signal equally. Underlying that is
the native frequency response of the device itself. It can be a serious
mistake to confound the two.

Jerry
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
From: jim on

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Frequency response of a device is related to its output as a function of
> its excitation frequency. Its normal mode rejection has nothing to do
> with the device's excitation, but rather to the effect of induced noise
> on its connecting circuitry. Those are different in my view.

The graph shown is frequency response of the filtering of the delta
sigma ADC. The graph shows amplitude vs. frequency - You can dance all
around that fact if you wish.

-jim

From: Gery on
One more question about aliasing at the ADC output. When using the over
sampling ration (OSR) 32768 the ADC has an output rate of 6.867 Hz.

What I want to know is when i input a 13.5 Hz signal, does it alias back to
about 0.234 Hz?

And if so, why do they make an ADC like that?

I have used an Texas Instruments ADS1251 ADC before, and it has a Sinc5
filter that has all its notches at multiples of the output rate frequency
(like it should be).

"jim" <"sjedgingN0sp"@m(a)mwt.net> wrote in message

> Jerry Avins wrote:
>
>> Frequency response of a device is related to its output as a function of
>> its excitation frequency. Its normal mode rejection has nothing to do
>> with the device's excitation, but rather to the effect of induced noise
>> on its connecting circuitry. Those are different in my view.
>
> The graph shown is frequency response of the filtering of the delta
> sigma ADC. The graph shows amplitude vs. frequency - You can dance all
> around that fact if you wish.
>
> -jim

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: XDS510 USB
Next: Booting the 56371 via serial EEPROM