From: Brent Bolin on
On Feb 1, 10:01 am, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> Brent Bolin <brent.bo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 8:28 pm, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>
> >> inetd is disabled by default. Do you have inetd_enable="YES" in
> >> /etc/rc.conf?
>
> > You are correct...I'm a dummy.
>
> No, it's easy to miss. Most things now don't use inetd because of the
> security implications. That can probably be done with cclient.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

There a number of things that have changed since my last load (5.4)

Entire /usr/local/etc/rd.d is different... no more package.sh

Anyway thanks for your reply. Good to know FBSD is on the move. It's
my favorite O/S.

btb

From: Brent Bolin on
On Feb 1, 3:36 pm, "Brent Bolin" <brent.bo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 10:01 am, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>
> > Brent Bolin <brent.bo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You are correct...I'm a dummy.
>
> > No, it's easy to miss. Most things now don't use inetd because of the
> > security implications. That can probably be done with cclient.
>
> > --
> > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
>
> There a number of things that have changed since my last load (5.4)
>
> Entire /usr/local/etc/rd.d is different... no more package.sh
>
> Anyway thanks for your reply. Good to know FBSD is on the move. It's
> my favorite O/S.
>
> btb

I'm still confused about current FBSD startup after reading the
handbook. As noted above packages that were installed in previous
releases were installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with package.sh.sample

The file had to be renamed to package.sh and /etc/rc.conf edited to
start it.

I installed the mailscanner package. But I didn't let the system
start it on a normal boot. I started it manually.

I'm not in front of the system right now, but I don't think it was
installed as package.sh

Is this still the procedure with FBSD 6.2 ?

From: Warren Block on
Brent Bolin <brent.bolin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still confused about current FBSD startup after reading the
> handbook. As noted above packages that were installed in previous
> releases were installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with package.sh.sample
>
> The file had to be renamed to package.sh and /etc/rc.conf edited to
> start it.
>
> I installed the mailscanner package. But I didn't let the system
> start it on a normal boot. I started it manually.
>
> I'm not in front of the system right now, but I don't think it was
> installed as package.sh
>
> Is this still the procedure with FBSD 6.2 ?

Application startup scripts still go in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but they
don't have to end in .sh any more.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?