From: amdx on
Hi Guys,
I have my mothers computer, I put in a new harddrive and made it work for
her.
I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00
If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing
email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive
incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox.
If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again.
She uses Charter.net as her IP, I have setup OE as below.
Incoming mail (POP3) is pop.charter.net
Outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.charter.net
Log on using Secure Password Authentication - Charter e-mail servers do
not use SPA. Do not place a check within that box or an error will occur.
My server requires authentication - Charter residential e-mail servers do
not require this authentication setting to be used. Do not place a check
within that box or an error will occur.
Under Advanced tab .........
Incoming mail (POP3) is 110
Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25
I have her computer at my home using knology as the IP.
Charter does not support OE and will not help.
Any ideas how to get the mail program to work.
Thanks Mike

From: Char Jackson on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:20:42 -0600, "amdx" <amdx(a)knology.net> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
> I have my mothers computer, I put in a new harddrive and made it work for
>her.
>I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00
>If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing
>email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive
>incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox.
>If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again.
>She uses Charter.net as her IP, I have setup OE as below.
>Incoming mail (POP3) is pop.charter.net
>Outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.charter.net
>Log on using Secure Password Authentication - Charter e-mail servers do
>not use SPA. Do not place a check within that box or an error will occur.
>My server requires authentication - Charter residential e-mail servers do
>not require this authentication setting to be used. Do not place a check
>within that box or an error will occur.
>Under Advanced tab .........
>Incoming mail (POP3) is 110
>Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25
>I have her computer at my home using knology as the IP.
>Charter does not support OE and will not help.
>Any ideas how to get the mail program to work.
> Thanks Mike

Just a guess, but you're setting it up to use Charter as the SMTP
server, but at the moment you're on Knology rather than Charter.

Real example: If you were setting it up to use Comcast for SMTP but
you were not physically on the Comcast network, it wouldn't work, just
like it's not working for you now. That's because Comcast requires its
customers to use (secure) Port 587 for off-network access. Port 25 is
blocked. Maybe Charter is similar.

The other thing that comes to mind is some ISP's require you to
authenticate before using SMTP, but I'd try changing the port first.

Also check OE's error log for more clues.

From: amdx on

"Char Jackson" <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:20:42 -0600, "amdx" <amdx(a)knology.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi Guys,
>> I have my mothers computer, I put in a new harddrive and made it work for
>>her.
>>I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00
>>If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing
>>email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive
>>incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox.
>>If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again.
>>She uses Charter.net as her IP, I have setup OE as below.
>>Incoming mail (POP3) is pop.charter.net
>>Outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.charter.net
>>Log on using Secure Password Authentication - Charter e-mail servers do
>>not use SPA. Do not place a check within that box or an error will occur.
>>My server requires authentication - Charter residential e-mail servers do
>>not require this authentication setting to be used. Do not place a check
>>within that box or an error will occur.
>>Under Advanced tab .........
>>Incoming mail (POP3) is 110
>>Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25
>>I have her computer at my home using knology as the IP.
>>Charter does not support OE and will not help.
>>Any ideas how to get the mail program to work.
>> Thanks Mike
>>

> Just a guess, but you're setting it up to use Charter as the SMTP
> server, but at the moment you're on Knology rather than Charter.
>
> Real example: If you were setting it up to use Comcast for SMTP but
> you were not physically on the Comcast network, it wouldn't work, just
> like it's not working for you now. That's because Comcast requires its
> customers to use (secure) Port 587 for off-network access. Port 25 is
> blocked. Maybe Charter is similar.
>
> The other thing that comes to mind is some ISP's require you to
> authenticate before using SMTP, but I'd try changing the port first.
>
> Also check OE's error log for more clues.

The idea of using knology to access Charter has been brought up as a
possible cause of the problem, but does this problem happen at all the
wifi spots around town? I don't know!
Mike

From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, amdx
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00
> If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing
> email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive
> incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox.
> If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again.

This sounds like it could be a symptom of a very large email in the outbox.
If you saturate the upstream by trying to send a very large email, all
inbound traffic will be slowed down.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,

From: amdx on

"alexd" <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, amdx
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00
>> If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing
>> email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive
>> incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox.
>> If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again.
>
> This sounds like it could be a symptom of a very large email in the
> outbox.
> If you saturate the upstream by trying to send a very large email, all
> inbound traffic will be slowed down.

Probably not, usually (test) in the subject line and (hytf) as the text.
Sometimes I use (test 2) in the subject line.
Thanks, Mike