From: username localhost on
On Sep 20, 6:07 pm, rein <rein...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 12:26 pm, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you select all packages (not the default).
>
> > From the tutorial:
>
> > Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
> > "Install".
>
> > then
>
> > Before clicking Next, verify that your dialog matches the snapshot
> > above.  I.e.  All packages to be installed.
>
> > If you are using the June 2008 version of this document then you will
> > notice the Cygwin/X install has step-by-step, screenshot-by-screenshot
> > instructions.  Cygwin/X as of June 2008 worked this way.
>
> Thanks, did all this, plus tried downloading from different mirror
>
> > Are you running XP or Vista?  I've heard that Cygwin has issues with
> > Vista.
>
> Tragically, Vista.
>
> > Lastly, you can use the standard Windows method via hpgcc.org.  The
> > example code will compile the same.  However, you will not have the
> > ability to run HPAPINE (simulator) or GDB (debugger).  HPAPINE was my
> > motivation to use Cygwin/X.  I cannot overstate the hours it has saved
> > me.
>
> I would prefer to run it with HAPINE if that works best.
>
> > Good luck.
>
> Thank you.  I gave it another shot.  Came up with a huge package.
> Double-clicking on C:/cugwin/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe tells me again it
> can't find cygwin1.dll although this does in fact live in C:/cygwin/
> bin.
> Any suggestions?  I'd really like to get this going this way vs. the
> other options.  Thank you greatly for your help.
> Bill

That is normal behavior. C:/cygwin/bin must be in the PATH environment
variable when XWin.exe is run.
The proper way to do this is to use C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin/
startxwin.bat

If you are missing that file, you need to install the package "X-
startup-scripts".
From: rein on
On Sep 22, 3:43 pm, username localhost <username.localh...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sep 20, 6:07 pm, rein <rein...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 18, 12:26 pm, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Did you select all packages (not the default).
>
> > > From the tutorial:
>
> > > Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
> > > "Install".
>
> > > then
>
> > > Before clicking Next, verify that your dialog matches the snapshot
> > > above.  I.e.  All packages to be installed.
>
> > > If you are using the June 2008 version of this document then you will
> > > notice the Cygwin/X install has step-by-step, screenshot-by-screenshot
> > > instructions.  Cygwin/X as of June 2008 worked this way.
>
> > Thanks, did all this, plus tried downloading from different mirror
>
> > > Are you running XP or Vista?  I've heard that Cygwin has issues with
> > > Vista.
>
> > Tragically, Vista.
>
> > > Lastly, you can use the standard Windows method via hpgcc.org.  The
> > > example code will compile the same.  However, you will not have the
> > > ability to run HPAPINE (simulator) or GDB (debugger).  HPAPINE was my
> > > motivation to use Cygwin/X.  I cannot overstate the hours it has saved
> > > me.
>
> > I would prefer to run it with HAPINE if that works best.
>
> > > Good luck.
>
> > Thank you.  I gave it another shot.  Came up with a huge package.
> > Double-clicking on C:/cugwin/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe tells me again it
> > can't find cygwin1.dll although this does in fact live in C:/cygwin/
> > bin.
> > Any suggestions?  I'd really like to get this going this way vs. the
> > other options.  Thank you greatly for your help.
> > Bill
>
> That is normal behavior. C:/cygwin/bin must be in the PATH environment
> variable when XWin.exe is run.
> The proper way to do this is to use C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin/
> startxwin.bat
>
> If you are missing that file, you need to install the package "X-
> startup-scripts".

Thanks, everyone. I'll work on it.
Bill
From: datajerk on
On Sep 18, 6:26 am, rein <rein...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi, I am attempting to work with the Egan Ford hpgcc tutorial at -http://sense.net/~egan/hpgcc

I got access to a Vista machine today. Just follow the tutorial with
the following Cygwin install exceptions:

Step 1:

1. When prompted for "package directory", change the default c:
\windows\system32 to c:\whatever, not really necessary, but lets keep
things clean.
2. When prompted for compatibility, select "this program installed
correctly"

Step 2:

Ignore the setup startx and xterm icon creation. For Vista (or any
Windows) just use the "Start X-Server" icon on the desktop to "startx"
and for an xterm use Start Menu/All Programs/Cygwin-X/xterm.

I just did all of this and it works just fine. I also tested HPAPINE
under Vista, no problems.

I'll have the tutorial updated soon (I have many other updates as
well).
From: tiwag on
On 18 Sep., 19:26, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you select all packages (not the default).
>
> From the tutorial:
>
> Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
> "Install".

i'm quite unhappy with the " All ==> Install " option for cygwin,
because it installs 950MB of packages which i'll never use.

could you please give a list of needed cygwin packages in order to run
cygwin, X and hpgccapine successfully.

thanks,
tiwag
From: datajerk on
On Oct 13, 7:06 am, tiwag <tiwag...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Sep., 19:26, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you select all packages (not the default).
>
> > From the tutorial:
>
> > Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
> > "Install".
>
> i'm quite unhappy with the   " All ==> Install " option for cygwin,
> because it installs 950MB of packages which i'll never use.
>
> could you please give a list of needed cygwin packages in order to run
> cygwin, X and hpgccapine successfully.
>
> thanks,
> tiwag

I'll document the exact steps for the next update (sometime next
month). For now you just need gcc, X11, and GTK. With some effort
GTK can be dropped.