From: rein on
Hi, I am attempting to work with the Egan Ford hpgcc tutorial at -
http://sense.net/~egan/hpgcc/#Extend%20your%2050g%20with%20C%20-%20Part%201
I have downloaded and mostly installed cygwin, the latest version.
The obstacle I have reached is at step two of his installation
instructions where it says to set up an icon for
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat - I can find no startxwin.bat
in that file. I have reinstalled twice just to be sure nothing "got
lost".
Next he says to set up an icon for
Xterm: C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/X11R6/bin xterm -display
127.0.0.1:0.0 -ls
I have some basic familiarity with linux but this has me lost. BTW if
I try to run run.exe it says it can't find cygwin1.dll.
I have enough hp48 familiarity I can slug through the rest of the
tutorial with, along with a friend who is a professional C
programmer. Meanwhile I would appreciate any guidance on this
particular bump in the road. Thanks in advance.
Bill
From: datajerk on
Did you select all packages (not the default).

From the tutorial:

Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
"Install".

then

Before clicking Next, verify that your dialog matches the snapshot
above. I.e. All packages to be installed.

If you are using the June 2008 version of this document then you will
notice the Cygwin/X install has step-by-step, screenshot-by-screenshot
instructions. Cygwin/X as of June 2008 worked this way.

Are you running XP or Vista? I've heard that Cygwin has issues with
Vista.

Lastly, you can use the standard Windows method via hpgcc.org. The
example code will compile the same. However, you will not have the
ability to run HPAPINE (simulator) or GDB (debugger). HPAPINE was my
motivation to use Cygwin/X. I cannot overstate the hours it has saved
me.

Good luck.

P.S. if you get really desperate you can install VirtualBox (free) and
CentOS (free) and then do all of this under Linux.
From: rein on
On Sep 18, 12:26 pm, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you select all packages (not the default).
>
> From the tutorial:
>
> Click on the symbol between "All" and "Default" to change "Default" to
> "Install".
>
> then
>
> Before clicking Next, verify that your dialog matches the snapshot
> above.  I.e.  All packages to be installed.
>
> If you are using the June 2008 version of this document then you will
> notice the Cygwin/X install has step-by-step, screenshot-by-screenshot
> instructions.  Cygwin/X as of June 2008 worked this way.

Thanks, did all this, plus tried downloading from different mirror

> Are you running XP or Vista?  I've heard that Cygwin has issues with
> Vista.

Tragically, Vista.

> Lastly, you can use the standard Windows method via hpgcc.org.  The
> example code will compile the same.  However, you will not have the
> ability to run HPAPINE (simulator) or GDB (debugger).  HPAPINE was my
> motivation to use Cygwin/X.  I cannot overstate the hours it has saved
> me.

I would prefer to run it with HAPINE if that works best.

> Good luck.

Thank you. I gave it another shot. Came up with a huge package.
Double-clicking on C:/cugwin/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe tells me again it
can't find cygwin1.dll although this does in fact live in C:/cygwin/
bin.
Any suggestions? I'd really like to get this going this way vs. the
other options. Thank you greatly for your help.
Bill

> P.S. if you get really desperate you can install VirtualBox (free) and
> CentOS (free) and then do all of this under Linux
..
Not yet...
From: datajerk on
On Sep 20, 4:07 pm, rein <rein...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 12:26 pm, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you running XP or Vista?  I've heard that Cygwin has issues with
> > Vista.
>
> Tragically, Vista.
> Thank you.  I gave it another shot.  Came up with a huge package.
> Double-clicking on C:/cugwin/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe tells me again it
> can't find cygwin1.dll although this does in fact live in C:/cygwin/
> bin.

Copy cygwin1.dll to \windows\system32 and see if that helps. I do not
generally recommend this, but its just a test.

Sadly I do not have access to a Vista system to try.
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:07:01 -0500, rein wrote:

> Double-clicking on C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe tells me again
> it can't find cygwin1.dll although this does in fact live in C:/cygwin/bin

I don't use HPGCC, but I do use Cygwin.

What if you set the "Start in" property of your Windows shortcut
to the directory (...\cygwin\bin) which contains all the Cygwin DLLs?

Any other "start in" gives me the same error as you get,
but this particular "start in" gives no such initial error for me.

Also, what's your PATH variable say?

When I start a Cygwin shell (bash) then display my PATH:

In Cygwin:
PATH='/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:...'

In Windows (after running cmd.exe from bash):
PATH=D:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;D:\cygwin\bin;D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\WINDOWS\system32;...

There are some Cygwin programs that I use
which are not happy until that entire PATH is set up
(bash sets it up on its own, it would appear,
when I use the automatically installed "cygwin.bat" command file,
or the command "bash --login" from within the cygwin\bin directory)

-[ ]-