From: MikeD on

"Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message
> Kevin, I will look at doing that, but the reason I am doing it in the app,
> is so that the entries are not there if the app is not running. I can
> certainly include the entries in the setup marked to be removed upon
> uninstall.

But you're going to run into problems because the keys you're writing to
require admin level privileges....and under Vista, Win7, and Server 2008,
UAC will prevent that UNLESS your app is specifically run with elevated
privileges.

--
Mike

From: Norm on

"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message

> "Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message
>> Kevin, I will look at doing that, but the reason I am doing it in the
>> app, is so that the entries are not there if the app is not running. I
>> can certainly include the entries in the setup marked to be removed upon
>> uninstall.
>>

> But you're going to run into problems because the keys you're writing to
> require admin level privileges....and under Vista, Win7, and Server 2008,
> UAC will prevent that UNLESS your app is specifically run with elevated
> privileges.
>
> --
> Mike

Mike,

I see your point about the admin privilege needed and will probably have the
keys written by a setup routine, once I decide to release the app for free
use. At the moment I am using it just for my own purpose. I have a lot more
research to do on using the context menu and getting it to work the way I
would like. I appreciate all the suggestions and will be back for more.

Norm

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message news:u6W3T%23r7KHA.980(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
:
: But you're going to run into problems because the keys you're writing to
: require admin level privileges....and under Vista, Win7, and Server 2008,
: UAC will prevent that UNLESS your app is specifically run with elevated
: privileges.

Mike -

Keys for the explorer menu can be written to HKCU, instead of HKLM. Doing so will override any duplicate key entry in HCLM. Even better, no special admin privs needed for HKCU. I have personally tested this under Vista. Works like a charm.

Documentation on how it all works is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
From: MikeD on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message

> "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message
> :
> : But you're going to run into problems because the keys you're writing to
> : require admin level privileges....and under Vista, Win7, and Server
> 2008,
> : UAC will prevent that UNLESS your app is specifically run with elevated
> : privileges.
>
> Mike -
>
> Keys for the explorer menu can be written to HKCU, instead of HKLM. Doing
> so will override any duplicate key entry in HCLM. Even better, no special
> admin privs needed for HKCU. I have personally tested this under Vista.
> Works like a charm.

Quite true, but Norm is writing to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Re-writing his app to
use HKCU is another option, and Norm, that'd might very well be your best
option. Especially given the circumstances you described.

--
Mike

From: Norm on

> "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>>
>> "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message
>> :
>> : But you're going to run into problems because the keys you're writing
>> : require admin level privileges....and under Vista, Win7, and Server
>> 2008,
>> : UAC will prevent that UNLESS your app is specifically run with elevated
>> : privileges.
>>
>> Mike -
>>
>> Keys for the explorer menu can be written to HKCU, instead of HKLM.
>> Doing so will override any duplicate key entry in HCLM. Even better, no
>> special admin privs needed for HKCU. I have personally tested this under
>> Vista. Works like a charm.
>>

> Quite true, but Norm is writing to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Re-writing his app
> to use HKCU is another option, and Norm, that'd might very well be your
> best option. Especially given the circumstances you described.
>
> --
> Mike

Kevin, Mike,

Thanks for the information and yes, I do believe that writing to the HKCU
key would be better and will try that.

Norm