From: Paulo da Silva on
Hi!

I don't know how to write iptables rules. I have a set of them produced
by guarddog. However they are aborting packages like this one:

ABORTED IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC=... SRC=xx.xx.xx.xx DST=192.168.1.yy LEN=40
TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=122 ID=7099 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=5194
SEQ=SSSSSSSS ACK=AAAAAAAA WINDOW=0 RES=0x00 ACK RST URGP=0

Does anyone pls. write one or more rules to allow these packages and
only these?
Where do I place them?

Thank you very much
From: Moe Trin on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<4b32b11d$0$28317$a729d347(a)news.telepac.pt>, Paulo da Silva wrote:

>I don't know how to write iptables rules. I have a set of them produced
>by guarddog. However they are aborting packages like this one:

Concepts:

278012 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-HOWTO
287057 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO

a search engine should find those if you don't have them installed
on your system in /usr/share/HOWTO/. Then go to

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/

[TXT] NAT-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 25K
[TXT] netfilter-double-nat-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 9.4K
[TXT] netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 79K
[TXT] netfilter-hacking-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 84K
[TXT] netfilter-mirror-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 8.1K
[TXT] networking-concepts-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 28K
[TXT] packet-filtering-HOWTO.txt 25-Sep-2008 07:04 52K
[DIR] pt/ 25-Sep-2008 07:04 -

>ABORTED IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC=... SRC=xx.xx.xx.xx DST=192.168.1.yy LEN=40
>TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=122 ID=7099 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=5194
>SEQ=SSSSSSSS ACK=AAAAAAAA WINDOW=0 RES=0x00 ACK RST URGP=0

That is one packet where the source web server is shutting down the
connection ('WINDOW=0' and 'RST') for an unknown reason. You would
have to look at the packets that occurred before this.

>Does anyone pls. write one or more rules to allow these packages and
>only these?
>Where do I place them?

Start with the networking-concepts-HOWTO and then the
packet-filtering-HOWTO from the netfilter.org site (you may want to
look in http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/pt/ to see if
these documents are available in translation). For further help, you
will find a lot more readers in the Usenet newsgroup
comp.os.linux.networking that can help, but you will need to post
something about the packets that occurred before this one - this is
merely the server saying "good bye".

Old guy
From: Paulo da Silva on
Moe Trin escreveu:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
> <4b32b11d$0$28317$a729d347(a)news.telepac.pt>, Paulo da Silva wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to write iptables rules. I have a set of them produced
>> by guarddog. However they are aborting packages like this one:
>
> Concepts:
>
> 278012 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-HOWTO
> 287057 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO
>
> a search engine should find those if you don't have them installed
> on your system in /usr/share/HOWTO/. Then go to

No, thank you. I don't want and don't have time to learn this stuff.
I just want to give my pc a little more protection. That's why I am
using guarddog.

>> ABORTED IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC=... SRC=xx.xx.xx.xx DST=192.168.1.yy LEN=40
>> TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=122 ID=7099 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=5194
>> SEQ=SSSSSSSS ACK=AAAAAAAA WINDOW=0 RES=0x00 ACK RST URGP=0
>
> That is one packet where the source web server is shutting down the
> connection ('WINDOW=0' and 'RST') for an unknown reason. You would
> have to look at the packets that occurred before this.

Thank you. This happens with almost all connections (http at least).
Somehow guarddog misses to allow these packets to pass! So I thought it
should be a trivial task for those fluent in these concepts, perhaps one
who knows guarddog, to write a rule or a couple of them to fix this.
This is the reason for my help request.

Thanks anyway.
From: Moe Trin on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<4b34f282$0$7515$a729d347(a)news.telepac.pt>, Paulo da Silva wrote:

>Moe Trin escreveu:

>> Concepts:
>> 278012 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-HOWTO
>> 287057 Jul 23 2002 Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO

>> a search engine should find those if you don't have them installed
>> on your system in /usr/share/HOWTO/. Then go to

>No, thank you. I don't want and don't have time to learn this stuff.
>I just want to give my pc a little more protection. That's why I am
>using guarddog.

You really should look at the concepts, so that you can understand
what protection you have to start with, what you may need, and
what guarddog is doing.

>> That is one packet where the source web server is shutting down the
>> connection ('WINDOW=0' and 'RST') for an unknown reason. You would
>> have to look at the packets that occurred before this.

>Thank you. This happens with almost all connections (http at least).
>Somehow guarddog misses to allow these packets to pass!

You've got it doing something unusual - but what you show being
blocked doesn't provide the clue needed. You have it blocking the
termination of a connection, and not blocking the connection itself.
This is not the normal behavior of any firewall. You added some rule
to block some things without knowing what those things are, perhaps
some specific TCP or IP flags.

>So I thought it should be a trivial task for those fluent in these
>concepts, perhaps one who knows guarddog, to write a rule or a
>couple of them to fix this. This is the reason for my help request.

It seems no one here knows guarddog, which is why I suggested using
a different news group. You really do need to have some understanding
of what a firewall does before you can configure one - even using a
helper program like guarddog.

[compton ~]$ sudo /bin/netstat -anptu
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1621/sshd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1423/cupsd
tcp 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 1621/sshd
tcp 0 0 ::1:631 :::* LISTEN 1423/cupsd
[compton ~]$

Here for example, the only services _running_ on this computer are
SSH and a printer daemon - both listening on IPv4 and IPv6. But the
printer daemon is only listening on the loopback (127.0.0.1 and ::1,
so no bad guy can reach it. I've added a firewall rule to restrict
access to the SSH port, only allowing connections from specific IPv4
addresses. There are no other firewall rules, because none are
needed - there is nothing listening that _needs_ protection.

You showed a packet destined for an RFC1918 address (192.168.1.yy),
which means you have to have something - most likely a cable modem -
translating Internet addresses to RFC1918. Unless that modem is
forwarding all traffic to a specific computer on your 192.168.1.yy
network (highly unlikely), then the bad guys outside can't get in
unless you invite them by making a connection to their site - not
the other way around.

Old guy
From: Paulo da Silva on
Moe Trin escreveu:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
> <4b34f282$0$7515$a729d347(a)news.telepac.pt>, Paulo da Silva wrote:
>
>> Moe Trin escreveu:
>
>>> Concepts:

> You really should look at the concepts, so that you can understand
> what protection you have to start with, what you may need, and
> what guarddog is doing.
I understand the very basics of a network and how a firewall "works". I
don't know how to write iptables rules. I tried at first to write my own
rulesets but ended up with lots of things not working. It's also natural
that those rules didn't full protect things as I expected. So I gave up
and went to guarddog. It was very very simple to use. Of course I can
not evaluate the quality of the rules produced. I just trust them.

>>> That is one packet where the source web server is shutting down the
>>> connection ('WINDOW=0' and 'RST') for an unknown reason. You would
>>> have to look at the packets that occurred before this.
>
>> Thank you. This happens with almost all connections (http at least).
>> Somehow guarddog misses to allow these packets to pass!
>
> You've got it doing something unusual
I don't think so. From what you wrote, I think guarddog is blocking
(aborting) termination packets.
Except for the logs and perhaps another problem (see below) everything
works fine.

What caused me a problem was that sometimes firefox freezes for a few
variable number of seconds. I looked at the logs and thought that may be
some pluging could be expecting (waiting) for these packets.

So, I would like to get a rule to allow *only* these termination packets
to pass.

>> So I thought it should be a trivial task for those fluent in these
>> concepts, perhaps one who knows guarddog, to write a rule or a
>> couple of them to fix this. This is the reason for my help request.
>
> It seems no one here knows guarddog,
but at least someone could know how to specify a rule that allowed only
packets with those flags that appear in the rejection logs as aborted to
pass.
Then I could adapt the rule(s) to include IP addresses, etc...

Thank You
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: SPAM