From: charles on
ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) � It's no pun: we are truly entering a new
dimension in technology with the 3-D digital camera developed by the
researchers of Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) in Trento.

Virtual reality, security and surveillance, monitoring of the homes of
the elderly, videogames. These are just some of the possible
application of the patented prototype to be presented for the first
time ever tomorrow in Eindhoven (The Netherlands), on the occasion of
the scientific conference regarding the European project Netcarity.

Designed by David Stoppa and his colleagues at the SOI (integrated
optical sensors) Research Unit of Fondazione Bruno Kessler, the new
technology also represents a new record for Italian research: the
physical dimensions of the reading cell that captures the light on the
camera's sensor has the smallest pixel currently in existence in this
field (10 ?m, i.e. ten millionths of a metre, approximately one tenth
the size of a human hair) which provides the prototype with the
capacity to capture images with the largest quantity of details
possible

<more> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510075413.htm
From: Michael on
On 2010-05-11 23:10:30 -0400, charles said:

> ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) � It's no pun: we are truly entering a new
> dimension in technology with the 3-D digital camera developed by the
> researchers of Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) in Trento.
>
> Virtual reality, security and surveillance, monitoring of the homes of
> the elderly, videogames. These are just some of the possible
> application of the patented prototype to be presented for the first
> time ever tomorrow in Eindhoven (The Netherlands), on the occasion of
> the scientific conference regarding the European project Netcarity.
>
> Designed by David Stoppa and his colleagues at the SOI (integrated
> optical sensors) Research Unit of Fondazione Bruno Kessler, the new
> technology also represents a new record for Italian research: the
> physical dimensions of the reading cell that captures the light on the
> camera's sensor has the smallest pixel currently in existence in this
> field (10 ?m, i.e. ten millionths of a metre, approximately one tenth
> the size of a human hair) which provides the prototype with the
> capacity to capture images with the largest quantity of details
> possible
>
> <more> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510075413.htm

No offense, but the Stereo Realist did this all in the 1950s and did it
on Kodachrome, which has/had far more pixels than any digital device.
--
Michael

From: charles on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:43:34 -0400, Michael <adunc79617(a)mypacks.net>
wrote:

>On 2010-05-11 23:10:30 -0400, charles said:
>
>> ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) � It's no pun: we are truly entering a new
>> dimension in technology with the 3-D digital camera developed by the
>> researchers of Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) in Trento.
>>
>> Virtual reality, security and surveillance, monitoring of the homes of
>> the elderly, videogames. These are just some of the possible
>> application of the patented prototype to be presented for the first
>> time ever tomorrow in Eindhoven (The Netherlands), on the occasion of
>> the scientific conference regarding the European project Netcarity.
>>
>> Designed by David Stoppa and his colleagues at the SOI (integrated
>> optical sensors) Research Unit of Fondazione Bruno Kessler, the new
>> technology also represents a new record for Italian research: the
>> physical dimensions of the reading cell that captures the light on the
>> camera's sensor has the smallest pixel currently in existence in this
>> field (10 ?m, i.e. ten millionths of a metre, approximately one tenth
>> the size of a human hair) which provides the prototype with the
>> capacity to capture images with the largest quantity of details
>> possible
>>
>> <more> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510075413.htm
>
>No offense, but the Stereo Realist did this all in the 1950s and did it
>on Kodachrome, which has/had far more pixels than any digital device.

I liked the part where it said
"sophisticated micro-sensor known as "CMOS""
From: nospam on
In article <2010051123433457568-adunc79617(a)mypacksnet>, Michael
<adunc79617(a)mypacks.net> wrote:

> No offense, but the Stereo Realist did this all in the 1950s and did it
> on Kodachrome, which has/had far more pixels than any digital device.

no offense, but kodachrome doesn't have any pixels at all nor does the
stereo realist work the same way.
From: Rich on
On May 11, 11:43 pm, Michael <adunc79...(a)mypacks.net> wrote:
> On 2010-05-11 23:10:30 -0400, charles said:
>

> > ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) — It's no pun: we are truly entering a new
> > dimension in technology with the 3-D digital camera developed by the
> > researchers of Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) in Trento.
>
> > Virtual reality, security and surveillance, monitoring of the homes of
> > the elderly, videogames. These are just some of the possible
> > application of the patented prototype to be presented for the first
> > time ever tomorrow in Eindhoven (The Netherlands), on the occasion of
> > the scientific conference regarding the European project Netcarity.
>
> > Designed by David Stoppa and his colleagues at the SOI (integrated
> > optical sensors) Research Unit of Fondazione Bruno Kessler, the new
> > technology also represents a new record for Italian research: the
> > physical dimensions of the reading cell that captures the light on the
> > camera's sensor has the smallest pixel currently in existence in this
> > field (10 ?m, i.e. ten millionths of a metre, approximately one tenth
> > the size of a human hair) which provides the prototype with the
> > capacity to capture images with the largest quantity of details
> > possible
>
> > <more>  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510075413.htm
>
> No offense, but the Stereo Realist did this all in the 1950s and did it
> on Kodachrome, which has/had far more pixels than any digital device.
> --
> Michael

No, it's got grain particles which produces artifically-large scanned
files that give the illusion of more "information." However, like all
35mm film, its actual resolution is that of a 7-8 megapixel sensor.