From: Mike Williams on
"Jerry West" <jw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

I received your email with the attachment (although I see that you have
taken my advice and also hosted it on the web for anyone in the group to
check out). The text "driverguidetoolkit.com" appears 45 times in the exe
and the text "@driverguidetoolkit.com" (with the preceding @ sign) appears
29 times. However, on 24 of those entries it appears as part of a larger
text string, such as "send questions or concerns to . . . " and various
other pieces of text, whereas it appears only 4 times as a "whole string"
email address on its own (and not as part of a larger piece of text), as can
be deduced from the descriptor bytes preceeding those four entries. The four
entries actually are (byte number, counting from 1, shown against each item
with the byte position being the start of the four byte descriptor
preceeding the string, which of course needs to be changed to a new value as
well):

34797 dgtsupport(a)driverguidetoolkit.com
44949 support(a)driverguidetoolkit.com
57417 extend(a)driverguidetoolkit.com
79237 @driverguidetoolkit.com

I think it is fairly certain that the last of those four entries is the one
in your code line:

Case is = InStr(1, sTmp$, "@driverguidetoolkit.com", vbTextCompare)

The other three entries are probably links in the code that will be used to
send the various emails. All the other entries (the large number I've
mentioned that are part of much larger strings of text) are clearly part of
the help files etc.

I would think that the very least you need to do is replace the four entries
I have mentioned with their new equivalents and their new descriptor values
and in fact I'll do that for you and email the .exe file back to you some
time in the next fifteen minutes or so. Ideally of course you also need to
replace all occurrences in the help files etc (the other entries I've
mentioned) but that will take quite a lot more time because it will be
necessary to examine the code a little more in each of those 29 places (and
better still in all 45 places) to make sure we alter the entire string it
"lives" in where it seems appropriate to do so and also to amend the correct
descriptor (length) bytes to the correct values. I won't have time to do
that for you at the moment because it is about eleven o' clock in the
evening here in the UK and I'll be supping my mug of cocoa soon :-)

Anyway, I'll replace those four entries mentioned above with the new
equivalents and the modified exe file will be with you very soon. By the
time I am up and about tomorrow you may have done the rest yourself, or one
of the others here may have done it for you.

Mike

From: Mike Williams on
"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

> Anyway, I'll replace those four entries mentioned above
> with the new equivalents and the modified exe file will be
> with you very soon.

By the way, I thought I would mention that I found all those 45 entries
using the code I posted the other day, simply by modifying it a little bit
to peform the search in a loop and report every occurrence it found,
together with the byte address, in a ListBox. That enabled me to easily read
the data around each byte position in a separate ListBox. When I decided
which ones really needed changing right away and which ones, such as those
in the help files in much larger strings could be left until later, I used
the same code that I had already posted to perform the search and replace of
both the string ad its descriptor, which it did with no trouble at all. It
might be worth you looking again at that code and keeping hold of it because
you can easily modify it to perform all kinds of different automated search
and or replaces of such nature. Anyway, the modified file with the four
replacements I mentioned should be with you by now. I did the job in a bit
of a hurry because it is quite late in the evening here in the UK so post
again if you have any problems with it.

Mike

From: Jack T. on
I replaced all of the strings and it appears to be working. I get the black
club icon and a what look like an order processing form.

From: Jerry West on
Hi Mike,

I received the file back from you and found that it now works perfectly!Many
thanks for your time and explanation on what needed to be done and why.
Clearly, you were right on target with your comments and help.

JW

From: Dee Earley on
On 19/02/2010 19:34, Jerry West wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> I do indeed wish to shorten the string versus versus lengthen it.
>
> I have a statement, in part, that looks like this:
>
> Select Case True
> Case is = InStr(1, sTmp$, "@foobar.com", vbTextCompare)
>
> I want to change it to:
>

> Select Case True
> Case is = InStr(1, sTmp$, "@foo.com", vbTextCompare)
>

> As I indicated, when I load in a hex editor I cannot find this string
> 'foobar.com'. But any string declared as a constant --no problem. I've
> done a hex search and a unicode as well as text search to no avail. What
> could I be doing wrong? Is there a special editor for VB6 to use?
>
> As well, given what I'm trying to do it sounds like if I can find this
> string to edit it should work?

If you do find it, good luck.
Putting nulls in the string may end up being used as part of the search
pattern.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team