From: Albretch Mueller on

One of the few things I think Windows does well (well, definitely
better than "us") is hibernating. You can actually notice how the hard
drives don't seem to be powered and even the fans stop spipping

I have tried hibernating under both, knoppix 6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 and
none of them get it right. Is there any Linux distro that does?

Why is that?

Thanks
lbrtchx
From: Richard Rasker on
Albretch Mueller wrote:

> One of the few things I think Windows does well (well, definitely
> better than "us") is hibernating. You can actually notice how the hard
> drives don't seem to be powered and even the fans stop spipping
>
> I have tried hibernating under both, knoppix 6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 and
> none of them get it right. Is there any Linux distro that does?

I have good experiences with Mandriva 2009.1 on an Asus EeePC 1000H netbook.
Both suspend-to-RAM and hibernate to disk function flawlessly.
I recently installed 2010.0 on several AMD64 desktop machines, and even
though I didn't have time to check everything out in detail, I recall that
both functions worked fine here too. But I believe that it's not so much
the Linux distribution which is responsible for proper ACPI/APM support,
but the BIOS of the machine it runs on (see below), so YMMV.

> Why is that?

ACPI/APM has indeed a long history of problems under Linux, and yes, you
guessed it: once again this is Microsoft's fault. Even though ACPI is
ostensibly a fully documented, open industry standard, with Microsoft
(among others) as one of the original designers, Microsoft's own
implementation of ACPI/APM has often deviated from the official
specifications.
The first priority of most hardware manufacturers is of course to have their
stuff working under Windows -- and if they have to screw around with the
ACPI implementation to fulfil Microsoft's hardware compliance tests, then
that's what they did.

This means that lots of mainboards and BIOS implementations don't follow the
officially documented ACPI/APM standards, but instead comply with
Microsoft's undocumented slop jobs in this respect. And this in turn
results in Linux being partly or sometimes largely incompatible with
particular ACPI/APM BIOS implementations, because Linux ACPI /does/ follow
the official standards.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl
From: Lusotec on
Albretch Mueller wrote:
> One of the few things I think Windows does well (well, definitely
> better than "us") is hibernating. You can actually notice how the hard
> drives don't seem to be powered and even the fans stop spipping
>
> I have tried hibernating under both, knoppix 6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 and
> none of them get it right. Is there any Linux distro that does?
>
> Why is that?

Hibernate in GNU/Linux is called suspend to disk (S2DISK). GNU/Linux support
for S2DISK is hardware and firmware dependent (same for Windows) and works
for some hardware/firmware but not other.

On my personal MSI notebook S2DISK and S2RAM works in GNU/Linux and Windows
XP but not in Windows Vista and 7. For Vista (and maybe 7) it requires a
firmware update but some people reported problems with the update, so I did
not apply it and I can't tell if it would have solve the problem. I don't
use those OSs in my notebook anyway.

On my desktop workstation, both S2RAM and S2DISK works on GNU/Linux, Windows
XP and Windows 7 RC. Both entering and leaving S2DISK is faster on GNU/Linux
than on XP or 7. Entering S2RAM takes a few seconds in the three OSs but
leaving S2RAM is much slower in GNU/Linux taking 12 seconds while XP and 7
only take one or two seconds.

On a final note, probably all distros use the same software packages (e.g.
Linux kernel and pm package) to implement S2RAM and S2DISK. Different
distros have different versions of those packages and this results in
different hardware/firmware support.

Bleeding edge distros probably have more recent versions of those packages
and thus better support but you can cut your fingers in the sharp edges else
where. :)

Regards.

From: Jelly Bean on
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 04:49:37 -0800 (PST), Albretch Mueller wrote:

> One of the few things I think Windows does well (well, definitely
> better than "us") is hibernating. You can actually notice how the hard
> drives don't seem to be powered and even the fans stop spipping
>
> I have tried hibernating under both, knoppix 6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 and
> none of them get it right. Is there any Linux distro that does?
>
> Why is that?
>
> Thanks
> lbrtchx

I'm not having any problems here with hibernate or suspend on 3 different
notebooks. Ubuntu 9.10 worked from a fresh install and Fedora 11 did as
well. The hardware is Lenovo T400, Thinkpad T43, Gateway Core Duo, don't
remember the model. All I did was install Linux and everything worked with
no troubles. What hardware do you have?
JB.
From: JEDIDIAH on
On 2009-11-21, Jelly Bean <ge11ybean(a)enter.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 04:49:37 -0800 (PST), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>
>> One of the few things I think Windows does well (well, definitely
>> better than "us") is hibernating. You can actually notice how the hard
>> drives don't seem to be powered and even the fans stop spipping
>>
>> I have tried hibernating under both, knoppix 6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 and
>> none of them get it right. Is there any Linux distro that does?
>>
>> Why is that?
>>
>> Thanks
>> lbrtchx
>
> I'm not having any problems here with hibernate or suspend on 3 different
> notebooks. Ubuntu 9.10 worked from a fresh install and Fedora 11 did as
> well. The hardware is Lenovo T400, Thinkpad T43, Gateway Core Duo, don't
> remember the model. All I did was install Linux and everything worked with
> no troubles. What hardware do you have?
> JB.

....perhaps this fellow should actually mention what hardware he has trouble with.

--
Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is! |||
/ | \