From: Pete C on
Hi,

Does anyone know of a freeware command line program that can capture
hidden windows (ie under other windows) while keeping them hidden.

The best I have found so far is 'Minicap' which captures a hidden
window, but unfortunatly brings it to the top in doing so.

Thanks,
Pete.
From: Martin Jay on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:19:33 -0700 (PDT), Pete C <petecnews(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know of a freeware command line program that can capture
>hidden windows (ie under other windows) while keeping them hidden.
>
>The best I have found so far is 'Minicap' which captures a hidden
>window, but unfortunatly brings it to the top in doing so.

Hmmm, I've just checked out Minicap's website at
<http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/MiniCap/index.html>.

According to the info on that page there's a command line option to
bring the window to the foreground before capture:

"-setfore
Set window to be captured to foreground before capturing."

Therefore, I would assume the default is not to do so.

Have you highlighted the problem in Minicap's discussion forum?
--
Martin Jay
From: Why Tea on
On Aug 10, 8:19 pm, Pete C <petecn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a freeware command line program that can capture
> hidden windows (ie under other windows) while keeping them hidden.
>
> The best I have found so far is 'Minicap' which captures a hidden
> window, but unfortunatly brings it to the top in doing so.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete.

I wonder if this is even technically possible. This sort of program
takes a screenshot or captures the screen, can it capture anything
while the screen isn't painted?
From: Pete C on
On Aug 10, 1:21 pm, Martin Jay <mar...(a)spam-free.org.uk> wrote:
> According to the info on that page there's a command line option to
> bring the window to the foreground before capture:
>
> "-setfore
> Set window to be captured to foreground before capturing."
>
> Therefore, I would assume the default is not to do so.
>
> Have you highlighted the problem in Minicap's discussion forum?

I have tried it and it always brings the window to front. I'll ask in
the forum, maybe the developer knows of another utility that'll do.

cheers,
Pete.

From: Pete C on
On Aug 11, 7:46 am, Why Tea <ytl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this is even technically possible. This sort of program
> takes a screenshot or captures the screen, can it capture anything
> while the screen isn't painted?

I've done some googling and there's plenty of stuff about writing code
that will do it, but I can't find a freeware utility that can do it.

As I understand it, it involves pointing the window to a block of
memory and then asking the window to repaint.

I expect this normally happens when the window is brought to the top
and the window repaints to memory that shows the desktop.

cheers,
Pete.