From: Doomed Soul on
I have 30mbps high speed cable, but I have my doubts about how much
of this is just overkill.

Speed check sites vary but rarely do I see download speed above 15 or
20mbps,...but realistically when I'm actually downloading media or a
program off the web it's rarely above 1mb. Usually well under. I know
my download speed is only going to be as fast as the slowest link in
the chain......... So whats the point?

I read somewhere that having a firewalled router can slow download
speed because it's scanning the packets for malware, but how much?

Would I see any noticeable difference if I downgraded to 6-10mbps?

Home network:
Running 4 devices {(pc1,pc2<--KVM switched), XBOX360, SONYps2} but
since i'm the only one using them rarely is more than one device at a
time is downloading anything.

D3.0 cable modem

Link to specs on the router i'm running.
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-4-port-gigabit/4507-3319_7-31954134.html

So am I waisting my money?

DS
From: Randal T. Rioux on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:35:52 -0700, Doomed Soul wrote:

> I have 30mbps high speed cable, but I have my doubts about how much of
> this is just overkill.

Nonsense, there can never be enough bandwidth!

> Speed check sites vary but rarely do I see download speed above 15 or
> 20mbps,...but realistically when I'm actually downloading media or a
> program off the web it's rarely above 1mb. Usually well under. I know my
> download speed is only going to be as fast as the slowest link in the
> chain......... So whats the point?

ISPs like to promise a lot and offer a little. I consider getting half of
the advertised speed to be the norm. That being said, the speed-check
sites might not all be able to handle the highest speeds either.

> I read somewhere that having a firewalled router can slow download speed
> because it's scanning the packets for malware, but how much?

No, unless you specifically installed a malware/virus scanner on the
edge, that would not be the problem. Most firewalls and routers are at
least 100Mbit/s, which is more than enough for a 30Mbit/s connection.

> Would I see any noticeable difference if I downgraded to 6-10mbps?

Not unless you're heavy on the torrent traffic. I've found the best way
to test my own bandwidth is to download and share large Linux distro DVD
ISOs and watch the transfer numbers. I'm not a gamer, so I can't tell you
what kind of traffic online games utilize, but I can't imagine they are
too piggy.

> Home network:
> Running 4 devices {(pc1,pc2<--KVM switched), XBOX360, SONYps2} but since
> i'm the only one using them rarely is more than one device at a time is
> downloading anything.
>
> D3.0 cable modem
>
> Link to specs on the router i'm running.
> http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-4-port-
gigabit/4507-3319_7-31954134.html

> So am I waisting my money?

That's a tough question. Would you rather put your savings into another
area of your life? Hobbies can get expensive! :-)

Randy