From: smlunatick on
On Aug 5, 8:18 pm, "Spamlet" <spam.mores...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> XPPro SP3 all up to date.  Avast free all up to date.
>
> Whilst browsing innocent looking kitchen furnishing sites, my browser
> suddenly came up with a window that looked like Windows Security Centre,
> with an inset window looking like my AV.  This inset window showed a list of
> supposed trojans and other malware, and was accompanied by a popup insisting
> that my system was desperately vulnerable and I should click a link to scan
> it now.
>
> I, instead, opted for pulling the plug and running ccleaner, clearing
> history and running spybot and malware bytes.  No malware found yet.
>
> The hijack went tohttp://x05y08.3utilities.com (Sorry: I can't see how to
> write this so it doesn't make a hyperlink: perhaps someone can tell me how
> to do that too.)   The '0's may be 'o's or a combination.
>
> Searches on this link and its various '0' combinations came up with no other
> mentions of this hijack.  The 3utilities domain does get a few unreliable
> notes.
>
> Anyone know any more about this?  Were WSC and Avast actually responding to
> this site as they should, or was the site imitating them to fool me into
> believing the popup and clicking their 'scan your pc now' button?
>
> Cheers,

Sounds like you hit a web site that by-passed the A/V software and
presented you a "fake" anti-virus screen/ There has been posts of a
fake anti-virus system known as Avast Anti-Virus Pro (???)

Never click on any part of these type of "window." This is a
"malware" and by clicking on the windows, you are actually "accepting"
their "hidden" contract terms. They would stated "you" have accepted
the contract terms and the charge for:
-- each clean up
-- each update
-- Uninstall codes.

From: Spamlet on

"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:18 pm, "Spamlet" <spam.mores...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> XPPro SP3 all up to date. Avast free all up to date.
>
> Whilst browsing innocent looking kitchen furnishing sites, my browser
> suddenly came up with a window that looked like Windows Security Centre,
> with an inset window looking like my AV. This inset window showed a list
> of
> supposed trojans and other malware, and was accompanied by a popup
> insisting
> that my system was desperately vulnerable and I should click a link to
> scan
> it now.
>
> I, instead, opted for pulling the plug and running ccleaner, clearing
> history and running spybot and malware bytes. No malware found yet.
>
> The hijack went tohttp://x05y08.3utilities.com (Sorry: I can't see how to
> write this so it doesn't make a hyperlink: perhaps someone can tell me how
> to do that too.) The '0's may be 'o's or a combination.
>
> Searches on this link and its various '0' combinations came up with no
> other
> mentions of this hijack. The 3utilities domain does get a few unreliable
> notes.
>
> Anyone know any more about this? Were WSC and Avast actually responding to
> this site as they should, or was the site imitating them to fool me into
> believing the popup and clicking their 'scan your pc now' button?
>
> Cheers,

Sounds like you hit a web site that by-passed the A/V software and
presented you a "fake" anti-virus screen/ There has been posts of a
fake anti-virus system known as Avast Anti-Virus Pro (???)

Never click on any part of these type of "window." This is a
"malware" and by clicking on the windows, you are actually "accepting"
their "hidden" contract terms. They would stated "you" have accepted
the contract terms and the charge for:
-- each clean up
-- each update
-- Uninstall codes.

Thanks very much for the tip offs.
Looks like I had a narrow escape, and will pass it on.