From: Manuel Lemos on
FYI

http://digg.com/programming/PHP_compiler_performance

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Find and post PHP jobs
http://www.phpclasses.org/jobs/

http://www.phpclasses.org/
From: Adam Richardson on
Really nice article, Manuel. Thanks for writing and sharing the link.

Adam

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Manuel Lemos <mlemos(a)acm.org> wrote:

> FYI
>
> http://digg.com/programming/PHP_compiler_performance
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Manuel Lemos
>
> Find and post PHP jobs
> http://www.phpclasses.org/jobs/
>
> PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
> http://www.phpclasses.org/

Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: Manuel Lemos on
Hello Adam,

on 02/24/2010 01:37 PM Adam Richardson said the following:
> Really nice article, Manuel. Thanks for writing and sharing the link.

You're welcome! ;-)

From: Mark Cilissen on
Manuel Lemos schreef:
> FYI
>
> http://digg.com/programming/PHP_compiler_performance

A nice article, thank you for the information!

--
Kind regards,
Mark Cilissen / Pixlism
From: Manuel Lemos on
Hello Raymond,

on 02/25/2010 11:34 PM Raymond Irving said the following:

> Very nice article. Thanks for sharing.
>
> I wish PHP had a feature/extension to compile (to native code) and cache
> the scripts at runtime. This way we could get speeds that are very close
> to PHC and Hiphop. It would be very slow when loading the page for the
> first time but after then it should just blaze. Maybe we will one day
> see something like an NCC (Native Code Compiler) extension for php that
> will replace or complement APC.

Right but keep in mind that most of the time regular PHP scripts are
waiting for I/O operations, like accessing to the network, files or
database servers. So the speed of execution of pure CPU intensive code
like bench.php used in the tests, may not be what matters most to your
sites.

So, often investing in heavily caching your content in files (or
memcached servers for clustered servers) is a much more efficient
solution to handle the load of busy sites. That is mostly what the
PHPClasses sites uses to handle over 2 million page views a month with a
single server.

You may want to read more about that here for more details:

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/66-More-defensive-programming-practices-to-survive-Web-site-traffic-peaks.html

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos