From: Carlos Mennens on
I don't understand why Debian defaults home directory permissions to
755 where most every other major distribution does 700. I find it
unusual that I have to 'chmod -R 700' a newly created users /home
directory. I know I can modify /etc/adduser.conf or
/etc/default/useradd.conf files to change the default permissions for
newly created home permissions but why does Debian default to this
method?

Thanks for any info in understanding why developers elect this process
as Debian's default action.

-Carlos

In <AANLkTik40voY-YM0r4S8U8Jsycxs4gCXoaLoueAtVw-y(a)mail.gmail.com>, Carlos
Mennens wrote:
>I don't understand why Debian defaults home directory permissions to
>755 where most every other major distribution does 700.
>why does Debian default to this
>method?
>
>Thanks for any info in understanding why developers elect this process
>as Debian's default action.

Wrong list. While there are some developers here, debian-devel is probably
better. Most of us are users with little to no insight into Debian policy.

However, the default group for directories also varies. Debian defaults to a
group with the same name as the new user that only has that user as a member.
Other distributions default to a group named "users" that includes all the
"normal" users on the system.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))