From: Jud McCranie on
We have three computers on a home network that has been working for a
long time. Now they can't see each other, but they can all access the
internet.

They say "network drive disconnected" in My Computer. I can't map
drives either. When I go to Entire Network, MS Windows Network, after
20-30 seconds MSHOME comes up. If I click on MSHOME, in 20-30 seconds
it says "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this network resource. ... The list of servers for this workgroup
is not currently available."

I turned everything off and restarted, that didn't help. I ran the
Network Wizard on all of them, that didn't help. I have sharing on
for all computers.

I've made two changes recently, but I don't know if they were before
or after the problem started. Recent changes:
1. replaced the router, but it installed without a hitch
2. installed MS Live OneCare, but its firewall is off

Any ideas of how I can fix this?
---
Replace you know what by j to email
From: Jud McCranie on
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:10:38 -0400, Jud McCranie
<youknowwhat.mccranie(a)adelphia.net> wrote:

>We have three computers on a home network that has been working for a
>long time. Now they can't see each other, but they can all access the
>internet.

Two of the computers are using XP home, SP2. The other is using XP
Media Center 2005. All updates have been installed. The router is a
Linksys BEFSR 41, ver 4, which replaced a similar version 1 one.
---
Replace you know what by j to email
From: Malke on
Jud McCranie wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:10:38 -0400, Jud McCranie
> <youknowwhat.mccranie(a)adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>We have three computers on a home network that has been working for a
>>long time. Now they can't see each other, but they can all access the
>>internet.
>
> Two of the computers are using XP home, SP2. The other is using XP
> Media Center 2005. All updates have been installed. The router is a
> Linksys BEFSR 41, ver 4, which replaced a similar version 1 one.

Just to add to Chuck's always-excellent advice, since you have MCE (a
superset of Pro) the following applies to you:

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
From: Jud McCranie on
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:34:22 -0700, Chuck <none(a)example.net> wrote:

>When you say "I have sharing on for all computers", do you mean that you enabled
>the "File and Printer Sharing" network component (which you must do), or that
>you enabled "Simple File Sharing" (which is optional, and won't affect
>browsing)?

I told it to share when I ran the network wizard, and in My computer,
if I right click on the HD, sharing is on there.

More info: the two XP home computers see themselves and each other.
They don't see the MCE one (although they used to). The MCE one
doesn't see anyone - not even itself!! I go to Entire Network, MS
Network, MSHome, and after 20-30 seconds it says that MShome isn't
access able.

>Make sure that all 3 computers are in the same workgroup, and that NetBT is
>enabled on all.

I wasn't able to understand the material about NetBT, but all are in
the same workgroup, MSHOME, except that the MCE computer can't even
get to MSHOME. I've run the network wizard two or three more times. I
thought I'd delete MSHOME and run the wizard again, but I can't find
any way to delete it.
---
Replace you know what by j to email
From: Jud McCranie on
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:12:29 -0400, Jud McCranie
<youknowwhat.mccranie(a)adelphia.net> wrote:

>More info: the two XP home computers see themselves and each other.
>They don't see the MCE one (although they used to). The MCE one
>doesn't see anyone - not even itself!!

Additional information: a few days ago I took the MCE one off the
router and connected directly to the cable modem for a short while to
test an email problem. I don't know if this matters.
---
Replace you know what by j to email