From: Erick Engelke on

Years ago I used a Hooking library to hook system calls like
CreateProcessW.

I'd like to do that again. Does it work in modern versions of Windows or
have MS killed that capability in their quest to clean up viruses?

Erick

Erick Engelke erick(a)uwaterloo.ca
Manager of Networks and Systems Integration PHY-3013
Engineering Computing (519) 885-1211 x35893
University of Waterloo http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~erick

From: Kerem Gümrükcü on
Hi Erick,

it still works, but if you operate in kernel, then you
have to take care of many more things than in the
past, so the same is valid for user mode functions
and libraries, but "yes" it still works!

See here:

http://www.vista-files.org/programs/hooking-software/hook-api-sdk.html

http://www.hook-api.com/

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/0xF9EB_Hooking.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/EasyHook64.aspx

In general www.codeproject.com has lots of examples for you.
Check it out!

Regards

Kerem

--
-----------------------
Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

From: Greg on
Erick Engelke wrote:

> Years ago I used a Hooking library to hook system calls like
> CreateProcessW.
>
> I'd like to do that again. Does it work in modern versions of Windows
> or have MS killed that capability in their quest to clean up viruses?

Use Detours from MS.
From: memger on
Greg wrote:
> Erick Engelke wrote:
>>
>> Years ago I used a Hooking library to hook system calls like
>> CreateProcessW.
>>
>> I'd like to do that again. Does it work in modern versions of Windows
>> or have MS killed that capability in their quest to clean up viruses?
>
> Use Detours from MS.

if you don't want to pay for the x64 version, you might want to try
N-CodeHook. It's available from http://newgre.net/ncodehook
From: mikfig on
Just a newbie win32 coder question? Are hooks what is used for
programs like trainers, process managers, etc to "hook" onto a
process?