From: Killarney Tom Killarney on
I have a worksheet containing a column of cells each containing a mobile
phone number - the number in the cell is 7 digit , but needs to be 8 digit
(commencing with a "0" - which is now missing ) I need to insert a 0 at the
front of current string of 7 digits in each cell - I've done this before
but have forgot how to do. Can you pls tell me what formula / instruction I
must use to get a column with desired result - I need the phone number in
correct 8 digit format for a SMS transmission programme.
Many Thanks
Tom
From: Joe User on
"Killarney Tom" wrote:
> I need to insert a 0 at the
> front of current string of 7 digits in each cell

If the phone numbers are entered as numbers, not text, and you merely want
the cell value to appear as 8 digits with leading zeros, you can use the
Custom format 00000000.

If the phone numbers are text or numbers, and you want want the actual cell
value to be 8 digits, use the following to create 8-digit text:

=TEXT(A1,"00000000")

where A1 contains the original phone number. If you want to replace A1 with
the result of the formula (in B1, say), copy B1 and use paste-special-value
to overwrite A1.