From: Tod Levitt Tod on
Word 2007

When I make footnotes a section is automatically created above the footer
and with a short left-aligned horizontal line separating it from the main
text body of the page.
There is a large white space between the first footnote and the horizontal
line above it. How can I reduce this white space?
Thanks for any help you can give.
From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm for information on
formatting the footnote separator, which appears to have acquired some
Spacing After or perhaps an empty paragraph following.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)