From: rose.mckie on
I used to be able to sign in to Outlook but the sign in box does not appear
any longer, I have tried repairing Outlook twice from its disk and it says it
has been successfully repaired but still there is no sign in box so I feel
vulnerable without protection

From: DL on
Signing in doesnt give you any protection, just means someone else cannot
retrieve your mail on your PC.
There are two places for passwords; you can password protect your set of
Personal Folders (within Outlook), which means there will be no access to
outlook data untill you enter the password; or in your email account
settings untick the option to remember your mail account password, then new
mail wont be retrieved untill password is entered.
By default, installation of outlook doesnt give any password option
BTW forget your passsword and you are stuck

From: VanguardLH on
rose.mckie wrote:

> I used to be able to sign in to Outlook but the sign in box does not appear
> any longer, I have tried repairing Outlook twice from its disk and it says it
> has been successfully repaired but still there is no sign in box so I feel
> vulnerable without protection

Might it be you had the Outlook Connector add-on installed which gave you
IMAP-like access to the folders in your mailbox along with synchronization
to calendar and contacts? That has a *separate* login to your Windows Live
account for synchronization which is separate than the login for e-mails. I
gave up using the add-on quite awhile ago because it was flaky (and based on
further posts here it still looks too flaky for my use). However, you can
configure the add-on to automatically log into your Windows Live account
when Outlook starts. If that's the login you are concerned about, go look
in the add-ons configuration regarding the Windows Live login feature.