From: db on
the link you refer to
applies to windows vista.

further, the information
provided requires clarification:

though it states that programs
take longer to start the next
time they are launched after
the prefetch's are cleared out.

those programs will start
quickly after the windows
builds a prefetch for them.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com
- nntp Postologist
~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: glee on
Bill in Co." <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> db wrote:
>> you can delete the files in the
>> "prefetch" system folder.
>>
>> deleting them (except for the
>> ini file) can help with the issue.
>
> I thought I had read that was a common misperception, and that it
> wasn't really true.

Your right, Bill. While it doesn't actually "hurt" anything to delete
the pre-fetch files, it does not help anything either, and in fact
slightly slows down both the boot process and the loading of commonly
used applications. So, instead of helping with a "slow computer" issue,
it will probably make it a little worse. ;-)

Here's some info in "plain English".....
Beware of Bogus XP Advice
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000024.html

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+