From: lbrtchx on
How can you get the speed of a mobo's FSB?

I have searched for quite a long time and I can not find that piece of info. I remember on Windows they have a simple call to get tha info, that the BIOS (and perhaps the OS, too) must know

Thanks
lbrtchx

From: Dave on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:50:02 +0000, lbrtchx wrote:

> How can you get the speed of a mobo's FSB?
>
> I have searched for quite a long time and I can not find that piece of
> info. I remember on Windows they have a simple call to get tha info,
> that the BIOS (and perhaps the OS, too) must know
>
> Thanks
> lbrtchx

sudo dmidecode --type processor

or
sudo dmidecode | grep Clock

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

From: Albretch Mueller on
> > I have searched for quite a long time and I can not find that piece of
> > info. I remember on Windows they have a simple call to get tha info,
> > that the BIOS (and perhaps the OS, too) must know

> sudo dmidecode --type processor
> or
> sudo dmidecode | grep Cloc

That seems to be it, but then I have a question. Why is the comp.
manufacturer advertising a FSB of 800 MHz? Or should I check and reset
my BIOS?

Thanks
lbrtchx

$ sudo dmidecode --type processor
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.2 present.

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: Socket 775
Type: Central Processor
Family: Other
Manufacturer: Intel
ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D
Voltage: 0.0 V
External Clock: 200 MHz
Max Speed: 1500 MHz
Current Speed: 2800 MHz
Upgrade: ZIF Socket
L1 Cache Handle: 0x0009
L2 Cache Handle: 0x000B
L3 Cache Handle: No L3 Cache

Handle 0x0005, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: Socket 775
Type: Central Processor
Family: Other
Manufacturer: Intel
ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D
Voltage: 0.0 V
External Clock: 200 MHz
Max Speed: 1500 MHz
Current Speed: 2800 MHz
Upgrade: ZIF Socket
L1 Cache Handle: 0x000A
L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
L3 Cache Handle: No L3 Cache

$ sudo dmidecode | grep Clock
External Clock: 200 MHz
External Clock: 200 MHz
From: Dave on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:49:41 -0800, Albretch Mueller wrote:

>> > I have searched for quite a long time and I can not find that piece
>> > of info. I remember on Windows they have a simple call to get tha
>> > info, that the BIOS (and perhaps the OS, too) must know
>
>> sudo dmidecode --type processor
>> or
>> sudo dmidecode | grep Cloc
>
> That seems to be it, but then I have a question. Why is the comp.
> manufacturer advertising a FSB of 800 MHz? Or should I check and reset
> my BIOS?
>
> Thanks
> lbrtchx
>
> $ sudo dmidecode --type processor
> # dmidecode 2.9
> SMBIOS 2.2 present.
>
> Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
> Processor Information
> Socket Designation: Socket 775
> Type: Central Processor
> Family: Other
> Manufacturer: Intel
> ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
> Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D
> Voltage: 0.0 V
> External Clock: 200 MHz
> Max Speed: 1500 MHz
> Current Speed: 2800 MHz
> Upgrade: ZIF Socket
> L1 Cache Handle: 0x0009
> L2 Cache Handle: 0x000B
> L3 Cache Handle: No L3 Cache
>
> Handle 0x0005, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
> Processor Information
> Socket Designation: Socket 775
> Type: Central Processor
> Family: Other
> Manufacturer: Intel
> ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
> Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D
> Voltage: 0.0 V
> External Clock: 200 MHz
> Max Speed: 1500 MHz
> Current Speed: 2800 MHz
> Upgrade: ZIF Socket
> L1 Cache Handle: 0x000A
> L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
> L3 Cache Handle: No L3 Cache
>
> $ sudo dmidecode | grep Clock
> External Clock: 200 MHz
> External Clock: 200 MHz

It has to do with the multipliers...
"In computing, the clock multiplier (or CPU multiplier or bus/core ratio)
measures the ratio of an internal CPU clock rate to the externally
supplied clock. A CPU with a 10x multiplier will thus see 10 internal
cycles (produced by PLL-based frequency multiplier circuitry) for every
external clock cycle. For example, a system with an external clock of 133
MHz and a 10x clock multiplier will have an internal CPU clock of 1.33
GHz. The external address and data buses of the CPU (often collectively
termed front side bus or FSB in PC contexts) also use the external clock
as a fundamental timing base, however, they could also employ a (small)
multiple of this base frequency (typically two or four) in order to
transfer data faster."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_multiplier

200xmultiplier of 4--800mhz

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

From: Albretch Mueller on
On Jan 16, 3:42 am, Dave <nodlee5s...(a)fuse.net> wrote:
> 200xmultiplier of 4--800mhz

but where exactly do you get the 4 from? ;-)

Intuitively I would say that since the box has two cores and the
internal speed of each of them is rwice the external speed ... but I
have no way of knowing this thinking is right. "2" and "4" show up in
many ways in computers

I have a Shuttle XPC SS31T

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101013

CPU Supported
CPU Type Intel Pentium D/Pentium 4/CeleronD
CPU Socket Intel Socket T(LGA775)
FSB 800/533MHz
Chipset
North Bridge SiS 662
South Bridge SiS 966L
Memory Supported
Memory slot 2 x 240Pin
Memory Type Supported DDR2 667/533
Max Memory Supported 2GB

So again how exactly a 200 MHz external clock speed becomes an 800
MHz FSB?

Thank you
lbrtchx