From: Brown Bannister on
begin
/* The following for-loop is the guessing stage*/
for i=1 to N do
X[i] := choose(i);
endfor

/* Next is the verification stage */
Write code that does not use "choose" and
verifies if X[1:N] is a correct solution to the
problem.
end

Example of an NP problem: The Hamiltonian Cycle (HC) problem
Input: A graph G
Question: Does G have a Hamiltonian Cycle?

Here is an NP algorithm for the HC problem:

begin
/* The following for-loop is the guessing stage*/
for i=1 to n do
X[i] := choose(i);
endfor

/* Next is the verification stage */
for i=1 to n do
for j=i+1 to n do
if X[i] = X[j] then
return(no);
endif
endfor
endfor
for i=1 to n-1 do
if (X[i],X[i+1]) is not an edge then
return(no);
endif
endfor
if (X[n],X[1]) is not an edge then
return(no);
endif

return(yes);
end

Here is an NP algorithm for the K-clique problem:

begin
/* The following for-loop is the guessing stage*/
for i=1 to k do
X[i] := choose(i);
endfor

/* Next is the verification stage */
for i=1 to k do
for j=i+1 to k do
if (X[i] = X[j] or (X[i],X[j]) is not an edge) then
return(no);
endif
endfor
endfor

return(yes);
end

Design a new algorithm AP as follows:
Algorithm AP(input: IP)
begin
IR := T(IP);
x := AR(IR);
return x;
end

But we never do, we just keep going. --BB
From: George Jefferson on
"How did I solve an NP-Complete problem in polynomial-time?"

Very simple, you changed the laws of logic! Quite impressive!
From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
On 03/31/2010 03:39 AM, Brown Bannister wrote:
> begin
> /* The following for-loop is the guessing stage*/
> for i=1 to N do
> X[i] := choose(i);
> endfor
>

> /* Next is the verification stage */
> Write code that does not use "choose" and
> verifies if X[1:N] is a correct solution to the
> problem.
> end

What is precisily the goal of your post? To explain the class of
NP-problems?

An NP-problem is defined to be a problem that can be solved in
polynomial time (that's what the P is for) by a non-deterministic Turing
Machine (that's what the N is for). It's not very surprising, therefore,
that NP-problems can be solved in polynomial time by non-deterministic
pseudocode.

groente
-- Sander
From: Brown Bannister on
On Mar 30, 8:31 pm, "George Jefferson" <Geo...(a)Jefferson.com> wrote:
> "How did I solve an NP-Complete problem in polynomial-time?"
>
> Very simple, you changed the laws of logic! Quite impressive!

Thank you!

From the above it follows by reading the operator we obtain the first
character extracting different white characters. If you call scanf
function, read the current character, whether it is white character or
not.
Note the difference between the two ways of reading may be removed if
canceled skipws bit of member x_flags class ios (default value of this
bit is one).
If scanf function, field from reading begins with the first character
different from white characters and ends when the next character is
white, or no longer corresponds to the character format.
When reading a string, maximum length of the field, reading, determine
the width member function of class ios. It is true what is said about
the width member function, but in this case value shall be construed
as x_width maximum length of the field, reading, instead of the
minimum length of the field in which is displayed. An important
advantage of membership function width, versus scanf function is the
current function width parameter may be any expression, while the
value for scanf function may be only one constant. This will be used
to eliminate errors (may occur because of reading a character more
than the allocated memory). Consider the following example for
illustration. Stream12.cpp file:
# include <iostream.h>
# include <conio.h>
int main () (
clrscr ();
char * t;
int max;
court << "max =";
cin>> max;
t = new char [max], / / at most max-1 characters and
/ / Null character
court << "Read up" <<max-1 << "characters)";
cin.width (max);
cin>> t;
court << "characters read are:" <<t;
delete [] t;
return 0;
)
Run the program get the following result (s reveal data entry).
max = 5
Read more than 4 characters: abcdefghij
The characters read are: abcd
It is noted although the entry has typed more characters, not to read
more than the number of characters can save the space given string.
If extraction operations may be used fillers defined in paragraph,
except manipulator endl, ends, flush and setbase. Manipulator may be
used only WAS operations of extraction. You may use other member
functions of class ios, eg member function setf.
The above is written and declared to be released to the public as
intellectual property belonging to the author and creator.
Signed,
Martin Michael (BB is an alias to avoid hate mail, slightly)
Los Angeles, California

From: Brown Bannister on
On Mar 31, 1:28 am, "H. J. Sander Bruggink" <brugg...(a)uni-due.de>
wrote:
> On 03/31/2010 03:39 AM, Brown Bannister wrote:
>
> > begin
> >     /* The following for-loop is the guessing stage*/
> >     for i=1 to N do
> >        X[i] := choose(i);
> >     endfor
>
> >     /* Next is the verification stage */
> >     Write code that does not use "choose" and
> >     verifies if X[1:N] is a correct solution to the
> >     problem.
> > end
>
> What is precisily the goal of your post? To explain the class of
> NP-problems?
>
> An NP-problem is defined to be a problem that can be solved in
> polynomial time (that's what the P is for) by a non-deterministic Turing
> Machine (that's what the N is for). It's not very surprising, therefore,
> that NP-problems can be solved in polynomial time by non-deterministic
> pseudocode.
>
> groente
> -- Sander
Dear Sander,
The goal of my post is to stir the polynomial-time soup!
To explain the class of NP-problems=An NP-problem is defined to be a
problem solved in polynomial time by a non-deterministic Turing
Machine. NP-problems can be solved in polynomial time by non-
deterministic pseudocode.
Algorithms can be described informally in pseudo-code. • Good
luck! ....
Problem 7: Let M be a non-deterministic polynomial-time Turing
machine. ...
Problem 8: Recall that the configuration of a Turing machine is
defined by a triple (q, w, u), ... NP-hard.
Reducibility, and the notion of NP-completeness are defined. ...
The far stronger result by Agrawal, Kayal, and Saxena this problem is
in P is stated ...
model of nondeterministic Turing machine (NTM) is defined
formally. ...
DO: Find a deterministic polynomial-time algorithm which, ...
via reduction from the 3D-MATCHING problem (both problems were defined
in class). ....
solved in polynomial time all problems in NP may be solved in
polynomial time. ....
(non-algorithmic) definition of the array of problems considered. ...
Correctly performing an algorithm will not solve a problem if the
algorithm is flawed or not ... Success for this algorithm could then
be defined as eventually outputting only ... NP denotes the class of
decision problems that can be solved by a non-deterministic Turing
machine in polynomial time. ...
Software Glossary
by M Altman
set of steps may be used to solve a well-defined problem. ....
The class P is the set of problems for which algorithms exist may
solve any ...
solvable in polynomial time by a non-deterministic Turing
machine, ...
problems in NP may have instances may be solved in polynomial time,
and it may ...
Describe in Turing Machine pseudocode a decider for the following
language: ...
What can you conclude about the class of languages accepted by 2-stack
PDA's? ...
First Algorithmic Problem: Given a non-deterministic Turing Machine
M. ...
Show that if P = NP then there is a polynomial time algorithm for ...
the efficiency of polynomial time approximation schemes In particular,
if FPT = W[ 1 ], then 3SAT can be solved in 20(") time [1] (where
n ...
A polynomial time approximation scheme (PTAS) for an NPO problem A is
an algorithm ....
We should derive a nondeterministic Turing machine executes the ....
time approximation schemes for dense instances of NP-hard
problems. ...
Algorithms. MATLAB Programming
Turing's initial interest was in the halting problem: deciding when
an ...
more: it includes the problems called NP-complete, which are generally
presumed to take more than polynomial time for any (deterministic)
algorithm. ...
decision problems may be solved by a non-deterministic Turing machine
in polynomial ...
Analysis of Algorithms this problem may be solved if our data
structure supports two operations: ......
formal way to talk about the set of problems may be solved in
polynomial time, ...
since for any DTM program we can run it on a non-deterministic
machine, ...
A problem in NP for which a polynomial time algorithm would imply
all ...
Quantum Computing [Exact Quantum Polynomial-Time Algorithm for Simon's
Problem ...
problem may be solved with certainty in worst-case polynomial time on
the ....
Characterization of Non-Deterministic Quantum Query and
Quantum. .....
from quantum search (running on a quantum computer) for solving NP
problems. ...