From: root on
I am a developer of proprietrary run distribution system that is used for
high end HPC applications in the automotive industry. We have a few
customers now using Windows Vista Home Premium, which lacks the local
security policy editor tool. In the past, we have recommended that this
privilege be assigned in the domain security policy, with local policy as
a fallback for single host installs. How can I either assign the 'logon as
service' privilege programatically, or add this privilege using supplied
tools? Any help much appreciated, as the only alternative these customers
at present, seems to be an OS upgrade to either Linux, or a more expensive
Vista flavour (which is highly undesirable for small numbers of cheap
compute nodes that do not need to be domain members), or for individual
laptops.

From: Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT] on
secpol.msc should be there in your installation, if you prefer GUI.
secedit.exe should be your command-line tool.

LsaAddAccountRights would be the API way of doing things.

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at