From: Saga on
Title correction. Saga

From: Saga on
>> Doesn't VB 2008 have an inherent function/method for testing a >>
>>string to see if it is numeric or not? Thanks! Saga
>
> IsNumeric. Though, I personally prefere to use the Double.TryParse.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

Thanks for your input. Although IsNumeric would be the logical choice
I have read that it is recommended that the developer stay away from the
VisualBasic namespace functionality as this was made available only
to be backwards compatible with VB6. Regards, Saga

From: Chris Dunaway on
On Mar 4, 3:19 pm, "Saga" <antiS...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> Doesn't VB 2008 have an inherent function/method for testing a >>
> >>string to see if it is numeric or not? Thanks! Saga
>
> > IsNumeric. Though, I personally prefere to use the Double.TryParse.
>
> > --
> > Tom Shelton
>
> Thanks for your input. Although IsNumeric would be the logical choice
> I have read that it is recommended that the developer stay away from the
> VisualBasic namespace functionality as this was made available only
> to be backwards compatible with VB6. Regards, Saga

Only the "VisualBasic.Compatibility" namespace should be avoided. The
VisualBasic namespace is meant to be used.

Chris
From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-04, Saga <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>>> Doesn't VB 2008 have an inherent function/method for testing a >>
>>>string to see if it is numeric or not? Thanks! Saga
>>
>> IsNumeric. Though, I personally prefere to use the Double.TryParse.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Shelton
>
> Thanks for your input. Although IsNumeric would be the logical choice
> I have read that it is recommended that the developer stay away from the
> VisualBasic namespace functionality as this was made available only
> to be backwards compatible with VB6. Regards, Saga

You are confusing VisualBasic with VisualBasic.Compatability. VisualBasic is
the core VB language functions and are meant to be used -
VisualBasic.Compatability is there for easier conversion of legacy code and
should be avoided.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Saga on
> You are confusing VisualBasic with VisualBasic.Compatability. VisualBasic
> is
> the core VB language functions and are meant to be used -
> VisualBasic.Compatability is there for easier conversion of legacy code
> and
> should be avoided.

Yes, I am confusing them. Thanks both for the clarafication!
Saga