From: Mike Row Soft on
I selected View Slide Master, then Insert Slide Number, I unchecked
everything except Slide Number, then clicked Apply to All. I see (#) in the
right footer in Slide Master, but when I select Normal View, the slide
numbers vanish.

Very user-unfriendly!
From: trip_to_tokyo on
PowerPoint 2007

Insert / Text group / Header & Footer / window of same name launches / Slide
tab / click in Slide number so that it has a tick (check) in it / Apply to All

From: Mike Row Soft on
Sorry, I'm in PowerPoint 2003