From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> bruce wrote:
[...]

> I highly recommend you write the initial version without script. Then,
> if it is really necessary, add some scripted enhancements as your
> present skills allow.

I agree with that.

If you post some code, I'll look at it.

See also Korpela's answer to the question, which, although vastly
different than mine, is insightful and sounds closer to what you
initially asked for.
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> bruce wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I highly recommend you write the initial version without script. Then,
>> if it is really necessary, add some scripted enhancements as your
>> present skills allow.
>
> I agree with that.

Yes, I thought it was sensible advice.

> If you post some code, I'll look at it.
>
> See also Korpela's answer to the question, which, although vastly
> different than mine, is insightful and sounds closer to what you
> initially asked for.

Are you talking to me? I didn't ask for anything.
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> bruce wrote:
[...]
> Are you talking to me? I didn't ask for anything.
No sorry, I meant that for the OP, bruce.
--
Garrett
From: Gregor Kofler on
Am 2010-05-04 03:11, bruce meinte:

> My input page has 9 drop down boxes and a submit button. The date drop
> down boxes (Month, Day, Year) are preloaded with "Today's" date. The
> remaining drop down boxes are Start time and End time boxes are (Hour,
> Minutes, AM/PM). Start time is set to the current time. Minutes are
> (0, 15,30, 45) only. End time is set to 2 hours after the start time.
> These are loaded on the server using PHP.
>
> My validation is done on the Server using AJAX. If validation fails,
> an error message, via AJAX is returned. If validation passes, the data
> is stored in the database and a table with all reservations returned,
> again via AJAX.
>
> So, I reiterate may request. Can someone direct me to prototype that
> shows me how I can change the Day drop down box to the correct number
> of days when the month is selected.

What's the problem? Since you already mess around with "Ajax", the
drop-down stuff is a cinch. (Or are you using one of those fancy
cross-browser libraries, which make mastering browser scripting a matter
of minutes?)

Whenever your month or year changes your attached change listener(s)
retrieve month and year (in case the month changed to February) from the
according dropdowns; unless you got February you look up your number of
days of the according month (e.g. a simple array with 12 entries); for
February you use your well-known formula to calculate your number of
days. Remove all superfluous options from your day-drop down box (a
maximum of three) or append missing ones.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: rf on

"Gregor Kofler" <usenet(a)gregorkofler.com> wrote in message
> Am 2010-05-04 03:11, bruce meinte:
>
>> My input page has 9 drop down boxes and a submit button. The date drop
>> down boxes (Month, Day, Year) are preloaded with "Today's" date. The
>> remaining drop down boxes are Start time and End time boxes are (Hour,
>> Minutes, AM/PM). Start time is set to the current time. Minutes are
>> (0, 15,30, 45) only. End time is set to 2 hours after the start time.
>> These are loaded on the server using PHP.
>>
>> My validation is done on the Server using AJAX. If validation fails,
>> an error message, via AJAX is returned. If validation passes, the data
>> is stored in the database and a table with all reservations returned,
>> again via AJAX.
>>
>> So, I reiterate may request. Can someone direct me to prototype that
>> shows me how I can change the Day drop down box to the correct number
>> of days when the month is selected.
>
> What's the problem? Since you already mess around with "Ajax", the
> drop-down stuff is a cinch. (Or are you using one of those fancy
> cross-browser libraries, which make mastering browser scripting a matter
> of minutes?)
>
> Whenever your month or year changes your attached change listener(s)
> retrieve month and year (in case the month changed to February) from the
> according dropdowns; unless you got February you look up your number of
> days of the according month (e.g. a simple array with 12 entries); for
> February you use your well-known formula to calculate your number of days.
> Remove all superfluous options from your day-drop down box (a maximum of
> three) or append missing ones.

Or you use one of the thousands of pop-uppy calendar things out there that
allow one to choose a date with a couple of mouse clicks. No fiddling with
damn nasty thirty line long select elements.