From: bruce on
On May 3, 9:40 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> bruce wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Okay, you have made this into a fantastic discussion, BUT, the
> > solution as I request, is what I want. My code is for a scheduling
> > system for the Tennis courts and the Cabana of my Homeowner's
> > Association consisting of 200 families.
>
> > My input page has 9 drop down boxes and a submit button. The date drop
> > down boxes (Month, Day, Year) are preloaded with "Today's" date. The
> > remaining drop down boxes are Start time and End time boxes are (Hour,
> > Minutes, AM/PM). Start time is set to the current time. Minutes are
> > (0, 15,30, 45) only. End time is set to 2 hours after the start time.
> > These are loaded on the server using PHP.
>
> > My validation is done on the Server using AJAX. If validation fails,
> > an error message, via AJAX is returned. If validation passes, the data
> > is stored in the database and a table with all reservations returned,
> > again via AJAX.
>
> > So, I reiterate may request. Can someone direct me to prototype that
> > shows me how I can change the Day drop down box to the correct number
> > of days when the month is selected.
>
> I don't know of any such prototype. but you should ask yourself if you
> should be fooling around with Ajax before you've learned how to do basic
> DOM manipulation (e.g. populating a SELECT control).  I know that must
> sound harsh, but it is what you need to hear at this point.
>
> I highly recommend you write the initial version without script.  Then,
> if it is really necessary, add some scripted enhancements as your
> present skills allow.

You are correct with respect to my weakness on DOM manipulation,
however my application is completed and running. The changing of the
Day drop down box to reflect the correct number of days when the month
changes is an enhancement I want to add.

Bruce
From: bruce on
On May 4, 12:30 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> bruce wrote:
> > On May 3, 5:25 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> > wrote:
>
> [snip massive overquote]
>
> [snip signature]
>
> > Okay, you have made this into a fantastic discussion, BUT, the
> > solution as I request, is what I want. My code is for a scheduling
> > system for the Tennis courts and the Cabana of my Homeowner's
> > Association consisting of 200 families.
>
> Not a help desk.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Not a help desk." I have
always assumed that these newsgroups were just that, a help desk for
where highly skilled programmers can assist lesser skilled
programmers. Or did you mean something else?

> > My input page has 9 drop down boxes and a submit button. The date drop
> > down boxes (Month, Day, Year) are preloaded with "Today's" date. The
> > remaining drop down boxes are Start time and End time boxes are (Hour,
> > Minutes, AM/PM). Start time is set to the current time. Minutes are
> > (0, 15,30, 45) only. End time is set to 2 hours after the start time.
> > These are loaded on the server using PHP.
>
> Nine select boxes. That's wonderful.

Yes, I think it's a great way to go.

Using these Nine select boxes, it's very easy for the customer to
select his/her date, start time and end time, then clicking submit. No
fumbling with the keyboard where typing mistakes can be made. I don't
have to validate the date format. Did he enter 5/4/10, 5/4/2010, 4 May
2010, May 4, 2010, et. al.

> > My validation is done on the Server using AJAX.
>
> And when that fails?

When the validation fails, I return an error message, via AJAX.

> Based on the question you are asking, you should not be attempting any
> Ajax.

AJAX makes validation much easier. On the client side, I can check
for input mistakes, like the End date is before the start date. On the
server side, I have to check is someone else has already reserved this
time.

> The technical solution to what you are asking is not all that hard.

Okay. Can you point to me where there is an example of what I want..

From: David Stone on
In article <hrnch7$fdr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Stanimir Stamenkov <s7an10(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> Mon, 03 May 2010 08:49:35 -0400, /David Stone/:
>
> > Or stupid forms that reject perfectly deliverable RFC-compliant
> > e-mail addresses (e.g. fred+usenet(a)example.com) as "invalid".
>
> fred+usenet(a)example.com is not valid as real email address and
> should not be deliverable - the example.com domain being reserved
> for example purposes:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#section-3

I know all about example.com - I used it in this case EXACTLY
for the purpose it was created for i.e. to avoid putting an
address made up for the purpose of an example with a potentially
valid domain name. This should be an expected and understood
norm for usenet postings.

The bit I was commenting on was the TAGGED address portion, and
NOT the domain name. Would you prefer I used a real, deliverable
domain with the fred+usenet@ part, just to make a point? Didn't
think so!
From: Jeremy J Starcher on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 05:23:02 -0700, bruce wrote:

> On May 4, 12:30 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not a help desk.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Not a help desk." I have
> always assumed that these newsgroups were just that, a help desk for
> where highly skilled programmers can assist lesser skilled programmers.
> Or did you mean something else?

You see, a helpdesk is [usually] a paid position that has an certain
obligations. Except for a rare few who have volunteered for special
obligations, nobody here needs do anything.

Your phrase:
> Okay, you have made this into a fantastic discussion, BUT, the
> solution as I request, is what I want.

Strongly suggests that you have come in expecting answers. And if you
paid a help desk, that might be a reasonable thing to expect. However,
you have come into a usenet discussion group, and a discussion is what
you got. Sometimes the answers you want come out of that discussion,
sometimes they don't.

From: Gregor Kofler on
Am 2010-05-04 11:15, rf meinte:

> Or you use one of the thousands of pop-uppy calendar things out there that
> allow one to choose a date with a couple of mouse clicks. No fiddling with
> damn nasty thirty line long select elements.

Indeed. But he was very specific (for no apparent reason) about those
drop downs.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com