From: root on
In order to set up file sharing for the Asus Oplay
media player I followed instructions to create
a shared directory. I followed these steps which
I found via google search:

groupadd smbguest
useradd -g smbguest -d/dev/null -s /bin/false smbguest

Then I created the file /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[global]
guest account = smbguest
netbios name = bb
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
workgroup = WORKGROUP

[public]
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
path = /samba.ok
read only = no

[cdrom]
fake oplocks = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
path = /cdrom
read only = yes

On my LAN the particular machine is 10.0.0.22

Sure enough, now the Asus media player can access the
directory /samba.ok.

All of the above was done by simply following an example.

Now I would like to access this directory from another
machine on the LAN. Accordingly I tried:

mount -t cifs //10.0.0.22/samba.ok /mnt -o username=smbguest,guest

and I get:
retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

The shared directory was created without a password. If I
leave off the ,guest I get prompted for a password and
I have none to enter.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?
TIA
From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, root,

Du meintest am 17.07.10:

> Then I created the file /etc/samba/smb.conf:
> [global]
> guest account = smbguest
> netbios name = bb
> security = share
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> workgroup = WORKGROUP

> [public]
> guest ok = yes
> guest only = yes
> path = /samba.ok
> read only = no

> [cdrom]
> fake oplocks = yes
> guest ok = yes
> guest only = yes
> path = /cdrom
> read only = yes

> On my LAN the particular machine is 10.0.0.22

> Sure enough, now the Asus media player can access the
> directory /samba.ok.

> All of the above was done by simply following an example.

What tells

smbclient -N -L 10.0.0.22

It should show the Samba names of the shares; in this case perhaps

public disk
cdrom disk

> Now I would like to access this directory from another
> machine on the LAN. Accordingly I tried:

> mount -t cifs //10.0.0.22/samba.ok /mnt -o username=smbguest,guest

> and I get:
> retrying with upper case share name
> mount error(6): No such device or address
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Try this command with the Samba share name "public" instead of the Linux
directory name "samba.ok".

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

From: Grant on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 04:10:52 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

>In order to set up file sharing for the Asus Oplay
>media player I followed instructions to create
>a shared directory. I followed these steps which
>I found via google search:
>
>groupadd smbguest
>useradd -g smbguest -d/dev/null -s /bin/false smbguest
>
>Then I created the file /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>[global]
> guest account = smbguest
> netbios name = bb
> security = share
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>
>[public]
> guest ok = yes
> guest only = yes
> path = /samba.ok
> read only = no
>
>[cdrom]
> fake oplocks = yes
> guest ok = yes
> guest only = yes
> path = /cdrom
> read only = yes
>
>On my LAN the particular machine is 10.0.0.22
>
>Sure enough, now the Asus media player can access the
>directory /samba.ok.
>
>All of the above was done by simply following an example.
>
>Now I would like to access this directory from another
>machine on the LAN. Accordingly I tried:
>
>mount -t cifs //10.0.0.22/samba.ok /mnt -o username=smbguest,guest
>
>and I get:
>retrying with upper case share name
>mount error(6): No such device or address
>Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
>The shared directory was created without a password. If I
>leave off the ,guest I get prompted for a password and
>I have none to enter.
>
>Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?
>TIA

man smbpasswd?

Perhaps use a credentials file too.

Grant.
From: root on
Helmut Hullen <Helmut(a)Hullen.de> wrote:

> Try this command with the Samba share name "public" instead of the Linux
> directory name "samba.ok".

Thanks Helmut, that did it.
From: root on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> man smbpasswd?
>
> Perhaps use a credentials file too.
>
> Grant.

Thanks for responding. Helmut showed me the way:
mount -t cifs -o username=smbguest,guest //10.0.0.22/public /mnt