From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> Both Machine A and Machine B run FreeBSD. [...]
>>
> You can't pass the fd because you can't fork() a child in Machine A
> onto Machine B.

I thank you for (however unintentionally) leading me to the discovery
that Helios is still around.

From: Ersek, Laszlo on
In article <IU.D20100205.T201621.P12646.Q0(a)J.de.Boyne.Pollard.localhost>, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> writes:

>>> Both Machine A and Machine B run FreeBSD. [...]
>>>
>> You can't pass the fd because you can't fork() a child in Machine A
>> onto Machine B.
>>
> I thank you for (however unintentionally) leading me to the discovery
> that Helios is still around.

What is Helios in this context? I was unable to find anything relevant
with google or wikipedia.

Thanks,
lacos
From: William Ahern on
Ersek, Laszlo <lacos(a)ludens.elte.hu> wrote:

> >> You can't pass the fd because you can't fork() a child in Machine A
> >> onto Machine B.
> >>
> > I thank you for (however unintentionally) leading me to the discovery
> > that Helios is still around.

> What is Helios in this context? I was unable to find anything relevant
> with google or wikipedia.

The only Helios I'm familiar with is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeliOS

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>>> You can't pass the fd because you can't fork() a child in Machine A
>>> onto Machine B.
>>>
>> I thank you for (however unintentionally) leading me to the discovery
>> that Helios is still around.
>>
> What is Helios in this context? [...]
It was ... erm ... is (present tense seems so odd, here) a distributed
operating system with a BSD-like API and toolset. Amongst the many
interesting things that can be noted about it, it's one of the few
operating systems where a worm (that explores and maps an unknown
processor network) was a part of the official developers' toolkit.
Forking processes from one processor node to run on another was
something that one very much did do with Helios. Run a command pipeline
from the shell, and Helios attempts to farm each process in the pipeline
out to a separate processor node -- subject, of course, to
considerations such as what user "owned" which processors. I/O is done
with a client-server model. So all of these processes forked onto
multiple nodes will be talking to I/O server processes, potentially
running on yet further separate processor nodes of their own. Hence
yes, in a way (although it doesn't really quite match what Helios' model
actually is, and Helios has some quite important behavioural
differences), there would be common file descriptors on multiple nodes.

Before anyone reading this thinks this to be simply akin to running
multiple processes on multiple CPUs in the x86 multiprocessor systems
that one commonly encounters nowadays, I should point out that the
original target architecture upon which Helios did this was multiple
processors without shared memory for communications. A single kernel
mode address space, common to all processors and containing shared file
descriptions, it is not. (-:

From: Ersek, Laszlo on
In article <oku047-pnd.ln1(a)wilbur.25thandClement.com>, William Ahern <william(a)wilbur.25thandClement.com> writes:
> Ersek, Laszlo <lacos(a)ludens.elte.hu> wrote:

>> > I thank you for (however unintentionally) leading me to the discovery
>> > that Helios is still around.
>
>> What is Helios in this context? I was unable to find anything relevant
>> with google or wikipedia.
>
> The only Helios I'm familiar with is this
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeliOS

Ah, thanks. Tricky spelling, no "Computing" section in the wikipedia
Helios disambiguation page, and no patience on my part.

Cheers,
lacos