From: Ninenineone Efx on
It's basic thing but I don't remember how to setup printer.
In general user, I can't print any paper.
I tried 'lpr' command for test, it gives about permission denied error.

I checked the Debian/GNU Linux System Admin's manual.
The printer setup section is blank. :-(

In addition, how do I install a simple X-Window manager such as fluxbox?
I want to install xterm too.

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:12:22PM -0400, Ninenineone Efx wrote:
> It's basic thing but I don't remember how to setup printer.
> In general user, I can't print any paper.
> I tried 'lpr' command for test, it gives about permission denied error.

You seem to be suggesting root can print? How did you set it up?

> I checked the Debian/GNU Linux System Admin's manual.
> The printer setup section is blank. :-(

Or have you not set it up? If not try installing cupsys and browsing
to localhost:631

> In addition, how do I install a simple X-Window manager such as fluxbox?
> I want to install xterm too.

aptitude install fluxbox xorg xterm
you might also want to install one of xdm, gdm, kdm, or wdm (or any
other I'm forgetting)

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris(a)cavein.org
On Friday 04 May 2007 22:12, Ninenineone Efx efx.ninenineone-at-gmail.com |debian_user| wrote:
> In addition, how do I install a simple X-Window manager such as fluxbox?
> I want to install xterm too.

Try these guides (read them both before proceeding):
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=13362
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=13828
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=5382

Good luck.

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:12:22PM -0400, Ninenineone Efx wrote:
> It's basic thing but I don't remember how to setup printer.
> In general user, I can't print any paper.
> I tried 'lpr' command for test, it gives about permission denied error.
>
> I checked the Debian/GNU Linux System Admin's manual.
> The printer setup section is blank. :-(

What about the printing HOWTO?

The lpr command is provided by different print systems (lpd, LPRng,
CUPS), and each system handles permissions differently.

Since my only printer is a 26 year old dot-matrix, I just just lpd.

Doug.

I installed above packages by using atp-get.
Did not use 'aptitue' because I got some bad experience few weeks ago.

Setup Xorg, install fluxbox, setup cups.
After giving the access permission to general users, I can print it.
Still I need to figure out how to print ps (PostScript file).

I gonna check about Linux printing Howto and ps related stuff.

Thanks guys!

I can surf Internet on Debian and print text file anyway. It's quite
improvement. :-)