From: Geoff Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> The main way my PCs communicate with each other is ssh, plus a bit of
> NFS. AIUI avahi is service-specific and I think I'd have to do some
> twiddling to get those services available over avahi.

If you're not bothered about announcing the services then no twiddling is
necessary, avahi will just resolve the hostnames. It's customary to have
".local" appended to the hostname but it's not necessary. So to ssh to a
machine with a hostname of fred you would do:

$ ssh -l user fred.local

If you want to announce the service then you simply create a config. file
and put it in /etc/avahi/services. Here's mine for my ssh server:

<service-group>
<name replace-wildcards="yes">SSH Server on %h</name>
<service protocol="any">
<type>_ssh._tcp</type>
<port>22</port>
</service>
</service-group>

Some apps announce themselves automatically without the need for one of
these files, cups is one such app.

In any case all this is probably academic if you've got things already
working to your satisfaction.

--
Geoff
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hv8e28$ggc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Geoff Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> Tony Houghton wrote:
>
>> The main way my PCs communicate with each other is ssh, plus a bit of
>> NFS. AIUI avahi is service-specific and I think I'd have to do some
>> twiddling to get those services available over avahi.
>
> If you're not bothered about announcing the services then no twiddling is
> necessary, avahi will just resolve the hostnames.

$ nslookup tiber.local
Server: 192.168.1.254
Address: 192.168.1.254#53

** server can't find tiber.local: NXDOMAIN

I do have avahi running and tiber is this PC's hostname. Do you have to
add something to /etc/nsswitch.conf?

> It's customary to have
> ".local" appended to the hostname but it's not necessary. So to ssh to a
> machine with a hostname of fred you would do:
>
> $ ssh -l user fred.local
>
> If you want to announce the service then you simply create a config. file
> and put it in /etc/avahi/services. Here's mine for my ssh server:
>
> <service-group>
> <name replace-wildcards="yes">SSH Server on %h</name>
> <service protocol="any">
> <type>_ssh._tcp</type>
> <port>22</port>
> </service>
> </service-group>

[...]

That's definitely twiddling :-P.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <nqadnWqv3-VDMIrRnZ2dnUVZ8gOdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
PeeGee <triessuk(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[Thomson TG585v7 / O2 Wireless Box II]

> Assuming the facility has not been disabled, if you telnet to the
> router, log in with the web interface user/password and type
> dhcp server lease list
> you will get a list with the clientid starting with [00] or [01]. Also,
> hostmgr list
> will give a list of stored local DNS entries.

"User 'Administrator' is disallowed to login from lan to telnet"

:-(

There don't seem to be any other users nor any way to create one in the
web interface.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: PeeGee on
On 15/06/10 22:00, Tony Houghton wrote:
> In <nqadnWqv3-VDMIrRnZ2dnUVZ8gOdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> PeeGee <triessuk(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [Thomson TG585v7 / O2 Wireless Box II]
>
>> Assuming the facility has not been disabled, if you telnet to the
>> router, log in with the web interface user/password and type
>> dhcp server lease list
>> you will get a list with the clientid starting with [00] or [01]. Also,
>> hostmgr list
>> will give a list of stored local DNS entries.
>
> "User 'Administrator' is disallowed to login from lan to telnet"
>
> :-(
>
> There don't seem to be any other users nor any way to create one in the
> web interface.

That's probably to stop the "remote update" via WAN being disabled :-(

Can you save and restore the configuration from the web interface? If
so, it is possible to modify the settings that way by editing the text
file. It does, however, reboot the router when you load.

Entries such as (not necessarily adjacent entries):

[ service.ini ]
add name="Telnet Server" mode=server
add name="Virtual Terminal Server (TELNET)" mode=server
rule add name="Virtual Terminal Server (TELNET)" protocol=tcp
portrange=23-23
rule add name="Telnet Server" protocol=tcp portrange=23-23

[ firewall.ini ]
rule add chain=

that contains "serv=!telnet" is a possible

CLI (Telnet) info (which helps with the config file) is in a file
available from

http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161

and select the correct tab :-)

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
From: Tony Houghton on
In <wu-dnfgmOLsR5oXRnZ2dnUVZ8hKdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
PeeGee <triessuk(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> [Thomson TG585v7 / O2 Wireless Box II]
>
> Can you save and restore the configuration from the web interface? If
> so, it is possible to modify the settings that way by editing the text
> file. It does, however, reboot the router when you load.

No, looks like they've removed that feature too.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk