From: Brent on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:31:37 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

>> Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
>> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
>> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe
> Works for me

Thanks Peter.

I found out the LaserJet 3200 TWAIN drivers are NOT on the HP web site
http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200 :(

Turns out someone posted the entire HP 271Mb CDROM as a zip file here: :)
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

A few of those HP CDROM links and torrernts didn't work but this one worked
on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

So now I have the HPLJ3200 "TWAIN" drivers installed (these files were from
2000 which predates my printer mfg date of 2001 though).

The hp laser jet 3200m printer is still not scanning to PDF (yet) but at
least the printer is recognized as a scanner (which it wasn't before).
From: Brent on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
> The only known solutions for the HP LJ 3200m are the following:
> a) Find the original CDROM that came with the HP LJ 3200m in 2001
> b) Order from HP the WinXP replacement CDROM TWAIN drivers (at some cost)
> c) Find where someone has kindly made the CDROM available for download

To report back to the team, the TWAIN drivers are definitely not on the HP
support pages: http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Warren Block confirmed that in this URL:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1266270241277+28353475&threadId=950340

Most of the links in that URL were dead but this one worked on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

The software is huge and OLD (it predates the printer mfg date) but once I
installed the 271 Mbytes, it added something called "HP LaserJet Device
Configuration", and "Scandrivers and Copier Software", and "Screen Fonts",
and "Readiris Pro 6.0 OCR Application", etc.

Now Scan2PDF recognizes the printer as a scanner.

I still haven't gotten the setup to scan to PDF but now the problem is
muuuuuch simpler. It's just to find which freeware to use to scan a
document to PDF (which was the original question).
From: Brent on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!
From: norminn on
Brent wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?
>
> I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
> printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
> B&W printer).
>
> I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
> well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
> drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
> deposit box or something.
>
> Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!

There are a lot of dusty old pack rats on the web - I don't believe any
software is impossible to find. Could probably find the OS for my
hubby's Commodore 64 :o) I think he said it has 3k of memory :o)
From: Brent on
Scan2PDF v1.7 freeware scans paper files to PDF files and also combines
multiple PDF files and digital photos into a single multi-page PDF.

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware can be downloaded from:
- http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
- http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
- http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/3000-13455_4-75851.html
- http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/Scan2PDF.shtml

Brent
Note: Next is finding the best OCR freeware to use on the results.