From: Brent on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
> A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

Hi Ron,

My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
HP support site!
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
Mbyte zip file.
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
working soon.

In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

Lesson learned!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Brent" <beemdoubleu(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid>

| On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
>> A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

| Hi Ron,

| My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
| seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
| getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
| then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

| But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
| that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
| HP support site!
| http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+
| 1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

| Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
| worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
| Mbyte zip file.
| http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

| One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
| new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
| days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

| I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
| working soon.

| In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
| would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
| could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

| Lesson learned!

There 'ya go.

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.
There is NO reason to go into the BIOS, you problem is purely a software problem realted
to your HP hardware.

--
Dave

From: Brent on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:30:04 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

> That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.

Yes. Lesson(s) learned.

The only reason the complete HP package didn't work at first to create a
PDF from scan2PDF freeware was that I needed to reboot the PC (I'm always
reluctant to reboot as I wonder what the PC does during the reboot that it
can't do w/o a reboot.)

Anyway, after the PC reboot I did the following and it worked just fine:

1. I put the piece of paper to be scanned to PDF into the printer
2. I started scan2PDF freeware
3. I checked that the HP printer was a scan2PDF source (it was)
4. I pressed the scan2PDF scan button which initiated a scan on the printer
5. The result was a PDF in scan2PDF that I simply saved to my hard disk.

Wow. How simple it all is once the TWAIN drivers were installed!
(OCR will be a whole 'nother ball game ... I'll look for freeware OCR
software separately.)

Lesson(s) learned:
- While HP printer drivers are easy to find, HP TWAIN drivers are not!
- Without the HP TWAIN driver, the scanner just won't work
- With an HP TWAIN driver, scanning to PDF is as simple as Scan2PDF

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/3000-13455_4-75851.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/Scan2PDF.shtml

Note Scan2PDF freeware also combines PDF files into a single multi-page
PDF.
From: Brent on
Scan2PDF v1.7 freeware scans paper files to PDF files and also combines
multiple PDF files and digital photos into a single multi-page PDF.

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware can be downloaded from:
- http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
- http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
- http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/3000-13455_4-75851.html
- http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/Scan2PDF.shtml

Brent
Note: Next is finding the best OCR freeware to use on the results.