From: Yash Ganthe on
Hi,

The shortcut file created by clickonce deployment having an
extension .appref-ms only has a link that looks like:
http://127.0.0.1/ClickOnceDemo/ClickOnceDemo.application#ClickOnceDemo.application,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=27d66f1bda5f165d,
processorArchitecture=msil

The file http://127.0.0.1/ClickOnceDemo/ClickOnceDemo.application has
the name and version number of the executable assembly.

When ClickOnce application is invoked, the framework compares the
version of the locally installed app against the version in the
deployment manifest.
My question is, how does the framework know the location of the
installed app to be able to compare its version number, or even to
start the app?
Is this maintained in a registry setting?

Thanks,
Yash
From: Gregory A. Beamer on
Yash Ganthe <yashgt(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:6efb9def-64d8-4230-9cae-
05cddc24e613(a)h40g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> My question is, how does the framework know the location of the
> installed app to be able to compare its version number, or even to
> start the app?

It is installed under the user's folders in a predictable location
determined when the click once app is created. I don't have specifics on
the schema, but you can easily install an app and find its folder.
Change the name of the folder and you get a new install instead of an
update.

I don't believe anything is installed in the registry, but I have not
examined that to be sure.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)