From: Juarez on
Do I have to buy eDimensional glasses or will it work with Nvidia
glasses too? Or is the ATI 3D driver not even ready for prime time yet?
I lok in the CCC options and the CCC help file and see nothing about 3D
glasses and yet I read at HardOCP that the latest driver has a 3D
glasses driver. What's the scoop?
From: KCB on

"Juarez" <jua(a)rez.invalid> wrote in message
> Do I have to buy eDimensional glasses or will it work with Nvidia glasses
> too? Or is the ATI 3D driver not even ready for prime time yet?
> I lok in the CCC options and the CCC help file and see nothing about 3D
> glasses and yet I read at HardOCP that the latest driver has a 3D glasses
> driver. What's the scoop?

Read this:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100324235120_ATI_Radeon_Finally_Supports_Stereoscopic_3D_Output.html

From: Juarez on
On 05/04/2010 5:12 PM, KCB wrote:

> Read this:
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100324235120_ATI_Radeon_Finally_Supports_Stereoscopic_3D_Output.html

Thanks for the info, that was just what I needed to read. iZ3D doesn't
need these drivers to do 3D on their own monitor anyway because it is a
polarizing technique and not shutter glasses technique. I can't even
find an iZ3D monitor for sale in Canada. NCIX used to sell it and at one
time I could have got it on sale for a good price but not anymore.
I have 27 1/2" LCD so there is no way I would like going back to 22"
just for 3D. That DDD solutions is a non-contender too due to price.
Guess I will just sit it out and wait until maybe iZ3D releases a 24"
monitor that I can actually buy in Canada. I'm not jumping ship to
Nvidia just for 3D either.
From: Foke on
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:04:17 -0700, Juarez <jua(a)rez.invalid> wrote:

>I'm not jumping ship to
>Nvidia just for 3D either.

LOL. I can't wait for Nvidia to release a cool-running unit that properly
handles HDMI audio so I can chuck my 5770 for something with decent Nvidia
drivers. I've used Nvidia products since leaving Matrox in '97 and have
had very little problem with drivers. This 5770 was the first ATI product
I've purchased and the drivers just simply suck. Blinky screens, black
portions of screens, black squares in video, red dots on boot screens and
other weirdness on a clean install of XP have certainly left a bad taste.
At first I thought it was a bum card (Sapphire, which did have a noisy
fan) so I swapped it for an XFX (which is a better-build card) but the
driver-related issues remain.
From: Juarez on
On 06/04/2010 11:35 AM, Foke wrote:

> LOL. I can't wait for Nvidia to release a cool-running unit that properly
> handles HDMI audio so I can chuck my 5770 for something with decent Nvidia
> drivers. I've used Nvidia products since leaving Matrox in '97 and have
> had very little problem with drivers. This 5770 was the first ATI product
> I've purchased and the drivers just simply suck. Blinky screens, black
> portions of screens, black squares in video, red dots on boot screens and
> other weirdness on a clean install of XP have certainly left a bad taste.
> At first I thought it was a bum card (Sapphire, which did have a noisy
> fan) so I swapped it for an XFX (which is a better-build card) but the
> driver-related issues remain.

Those are not driver issues. I have 5870 in this PC, 4870 in another and
9600XT in one more and no such issues on any of them. What PSU do you
have? Could be a motherboard issue too. One thing is certainb, it is not
an ATI driver issue as you are claiming. BTW, I have a Nvidia 8800GT in
another PC and have been using Nvidia cards off and on since 1998. It's
just that the last couple of gen cards it has been ATI/AMD who has
provided the better bang-for-the-buck. Any hardware reveiw site will
tell you the exact same thing too. That's why I am not switching to
Nvidia just for 3D capability and nothing to do with allegiance, but I
will admit I am not a fan of some of Nvidia's business practices and
have high respect for AMD even though I use mostly Intel CPUs now but
not exclusively. Again, it is about bang-for-buck.