From: Stupot on
......& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
work. Have to press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
using the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080
From: Christian Atteneder on

> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
> No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
> press the reset button.
>
> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
> the latest drivers downloaded.
>
> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
> Windows pull them off the CDRom.

You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are the
specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

From: Stupot on
On 5/04/2010 11:51 PM, Christian Atteneder wrote:

>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
>> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
>> No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
>> press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
>> the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>

> You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are the
> specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

Yes, the power cable is plugged in. The card works, I just can't install
Catalyst Control centre. I am using the basic display drivers.

The card is a Sapphire HD 5770 on a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R Board....

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=131193&enterthread=y

From: KCB on

"Stupot" <ten.no.edonretni(a)nampahc.trauts> wrote in message
> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>
> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
> No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
> press the reset button.
>
> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
> the latest drivers downloaded.
>
> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>
> System Specs:
>
> i7-930 Processor
> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
> Windows XP Home
> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

From: Stupot on
On 6/04/2010 10:45 AM, KCB wrote:

> "Stupot" <ten.no.edonretni(a)nampahc.trauts> wrote in message
>> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>>
>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to
>> install the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after
>> about 5 seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del
>> does not work. Have to press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
>> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>
>> System Specs:
>>
>> i7-930 Processor
>> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
>> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
>> Windows XP Home
>> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080
>
> Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Yep!

I have tried installing Catalyst from the command line, and this locks
the system up too.....