From: Christian Atteneder on
>> You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are
>> the
>> specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).
>>

> Yes, the power cable is plugged in. The card works, I just can't install
> Catalyst Control centre. I am using the basic display drivers.
>
> The card is a Sapphire HD 5770 on a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R Board....
>
> http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=131193&enterthread=y

ATI says that you need at least a power supply with 450W:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-system-requirements.aspx

Is your power supply good enough? And more important is it a noname PS or a
brand one?

From: goldy on
Try Installing Your Drivers In The Safe Mode, Running Programs Can
Give Problems.

From: Stupot on
On 5/04/2010 10:49 AM, Stupot wrote:
> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>
> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
> seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
> work. Have to press the reset button.
>
> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>
> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>
> System Specs:
>
> i7-930 Processor
> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
> Windows XP Home
> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Problem solved (I think).

Dodgy PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I tried installing an nVidia card
in the same slot and the system froze after nVidia drivers were installed.

Moving it to the second slot - no problems as yet.
From: goldy on
For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to
be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are
installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you
install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:30:18 +1000, Stupot

From: KCB on

"Stupot" <ten.no.edonretni(a)nampahc.trauts> wrote in message
> On 5/04/2010 10:49 AM, Stupot wrote:
>> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>>
>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
>> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
>> seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
>> work. Have to press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
>> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>
>> System Specs:
>>
>> i7-930 Processor
>> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
>> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
>> Windows XP Home
>> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080
>
> Problem solved (I think).
>
> Dodgy PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I tried installing an nVidia card in
> the same slot and the system froze after nVidia drivers were installed.
>
> Moving it to the second slot - no problems as yet.

Make sure your BIOS settings are correct for what you are trying to do. It
could be that the slot you suspect of being dodgy might not have the proper
settings for your card.