From: John Doe on
jimp specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

> John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>> jimp specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

>>> Though one does wonder what you think is special about a
>>> cordless drill as opposed to any other kind.
>>
>> I have two or three spare 36V Bosch cordless hammer drills.
>
> That's nice but doesn't answer the question.

Why do you think that I think a cordless drill is special, Gimp?

From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/11/10 2:36 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Asking for a wild guess. How much power is lost between the motor
> and the chuck of a cordless drill? How much power is lost in the
> gearing? In other words... If you were to use the motor alone to
> directly drive something (fast), how much more efficient would
> that be than keeping the whole drill together and driving that
> something through the chuck (slowly)?
>
> Thanks.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill

"The hammer drill is similar to a standard electric drill, with the
exception that it is provided with a hammer action for drilling masonry.
The hammer action may be engaged or disengaged as required. Most
electric hammer drills are rated (input power) at between 600 and 1100
watts. The efficiency is usually 50-60% i.e. 1000 watts of input is
converted into 500-600 watts of output (rotation of the drill and
hammering action)".

Just ignore cranks and trolls
From: jimp on
Sam Wormley <swormley1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/10 2:36 PM, John Doe wrote:
>> Asking for a wild guess. How much power is lost between the motor
>> and the chuck of a cordless drill? How much power is lost in the
>> gearing? In other words... If you were to use the motor alone to
>> directly drive something (fast), how much more efficient would
>> that be than keeping the whole drill together and driving that
>> something through the chuck (slowly)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill
>
> "The hammer drill is similar to a standard electric drill, with the
> exception that it is provided with a hammer action for drilling masonry.
> The hammer action may be engaged or disengaged as required. Most
> electric hammer drills are rated (input power) at between 600 and 1100
> watts. The efficiency is usually 50-60% i.e. 1000 watts of input is
> converted into 500-600 watts of output (rotation of the drill and
> hammering action)".
>
> Just ignore cranks and trolls

And just where do you see the word "hammer" in the original post?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
From: Benj on
On Aug 12, 8:40 am, jmfbahciv <See.ab...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I'm always surprised at the power they have.  For some strange reason,
> I don't expect the battery to supply enough juice for all that power
> for a long time.
>
> But then, I never understood torque either.
>
> /BAH

Well that is obvious. What you mean is you never understood all the
TORQUE they have. Torque is the amount of force applied to rotate the
bit. Power is the amount of energy supplied per a given time. You are
surprised that a drill can develop all that twisting ability, not
especially at how much energy per second (watts) are coming out of the
battery. In fact you are surprised that a so little power (watts) can
develop so much force (torque). The answer is based in a device called
a lever.
From: Androcles on

"Benj" <bjacoby(a)iwaynet.net> wrote in message
On Aug 12, 8:40 am, jmfbahciv <See.ab...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I'm always surprised at the power they have. For some strange reason,
> I don't expect the battery to supply enough juice for all that power
> for a long time.
>
> But then, I never understood torque either.
>
> /BAH

Well that is obvious. What you mean is you never understood all the
TORQUE they have. Torque is the amount of force applied to rotate the
bit. Power is the amount of energy supplied per a given time. You are
surprised that a drill can develop all that twisting ability, not
especially at how much energy per second (watts) are coming out of the
battery. In fact you are surprised that a so little power (watts) can
develop so much force (torque). The answer is based in a device called
a lever.
A gearbox does wonders for torque, a gear being a 360 degree lever.
http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/pics/meche/007/007_19.jpg
http://www.robotpower.com/images/cm-80_gears-sm.jpg