From: Dale E. Pontius on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> The old original 8086 & 8088 topped out at 10Mhz (originally produced at
> 4.77Mhz). The 80186 & 80188 were the embedded versions of the 808x, but
> otherwise pretty close to identical. Well, it looks like the question
> has been answered: between 55 & 66Mhz.
>
> EEProductCenter.com :: Intel-compatible processors upgraded to operate
> up to 66 MHz
> "The IA186EB and IA188EB are form, fit, and function compatible with the
> original Intel 80C186EB, 80C188EB, 80L186EB, and 80L188EB 16-bit
> high-integration embedded processors. Additionally, they have been
> upgraded to operate at 5.0V or 3.3V. The Innovasic version operates up
> to 66 MHz at 5.0V and up to 55 MHz at 3.3V."
> http://www.eeproductcenter.com/micro/brief/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210201596

I'd be curious to know any further information on the technology used,
since they don't really mention much in the article. Our 4Mb generation
was 5.0/3.3, and our 16Mb generation started that way, but once we went
SDRAM, 5.0 was a thing of the past. Our current technologies have I/Os
that can live in a 3.3 world, but it's quite painful to deal with such
high voltages. What a laugh! I remember the rough days of getting down
to 5.0-only, and the circuit challenges of getting decent performance
with such low voltages.

DP