From: Greegor on
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/lamo/

Ex-Hacker Adrian Lamo Institutionalized for Asperger's
By Kevin Poulsen May 20, 2010 5:46 pm
[...]

JosephKK > You almost mentioned auk itself.

I posted the same news story and asked
the same question in auk and some other
usenet groups and they responded about
like Archie did, though with less coprolalia.

I would not normally be very hard on
somebody with a disability but I'm
also not going to placate somebody
like Archie or Green Xenon.

Green Xenon kept asking in various places
for help to design his extra special untraceable
computer.

After seeing his manifesto describing
his anger at the world and intent to
punish the world without any consequences,
I realized my usual conciliatory stance
toward disabled people would be wrong.
His motive and intent were beyond sick.

I saw that ignoring Archie was not working
and that Archie urgently wanted to vent his
anger so I challenged him.

Archie's overinflated EGO stood out as unlike
my observations of misfits and recluses
I had befriended and worked with decades ago.

Then it dawned on me that today those
social misfits have their own little kingdom.

I had thought that the nature of internet
and usenet was causing normal people
to undergo a "road rage" like behavior
change, and I still think that is a part
of the picture. But I now think that a
much larger portion of the bad behavior
is coming from social misfits with bonafide
mental or brain disorders like Aspergers.

Lots of people with Aspergers or
Schizophrenia, etc. can behave themselves
and be very much productive members of
society. I have a renewed concern however
with the way that usenet social misfits
can feed off each other and gradually drift
into criminal or dangerous territory.

AUK and their behavior reached a level
of excess and had a slight correction
(law suit) but the group think coming
from mentally toxic misfits is stubborn.

The psychology of "playground bullies" and
the dynamics of how groups BADLY
respond to them, ignoring or "joining in"
fascinates me.
From: John Doe on
Greegor <greegor47 gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not normally be very hard on somebody with a disability
> but I'm also not going to placate somebody like Archie or Green
> Xenon.
>
> Green Xenon kept asking in various places for help to design his
> extra special untraceable computer.

What use for tracing a computer? I suppose a straightforward
threat of physical violence might be a good reason. Then again,
the chances of someone following up are probably very small, the
chance of them succeeding is probably very small, and the chance
of them getting caught even without tracing their computer is
probably high and might involve the FBI if they crossed state
lines.

> After seeing his manifesto describing his anger at the world and
> intent to punish the world without any consequences,

Sounds like something out of a comic book.

> I realized my usual conciliatory stance toward disabled people
> would be wrong. His motive and intent were beyond sick.
>
> I saw that ignoring Archie was not working and that Archie
> urgently wanted to vent his anger so I challenged him.
>
> Archie's overinflated EGO stood out as unlike my observations of
> misfits and recluses I had befriended and worked with decades
> ago.
>
> Then it dawned on me that today those social misfits have their
> own little kingdom.

A kingdom that is in fact practically harmless.

> I had thought that the nature of internet and usenet was causing
> normal people to undergo a "road rage" like behavior change, and
> I still think that is a part of the picture.

It is very much part of the picture. Some people cannot cope with
being unable to exert physical influence over others. Some people
thrive in it.

> But I now think that a much larger portion of the bad behavior
> is coming from social misfits with bonafide mental or brain
> disorders like Aspergers.

Imagine what Vincent Van Gogh and Edgar Allan Poe would have done
to the world through UseNet. Mental illness is not uncommon among
geniuses. You can guess that mental hyperactivity makes one good
at UseNet/Internet stuff. You might also find that some social
misfits and mentally challenged people actually do better on the
Internet.

Just be glad you are not there?

> Lots of people with Aspergers or Schizophrenia, etc. can behave
> themselves and be very much productive members of society. I
> have a renewed concern however with the way that usenet social
> misfits can feed off each other and gradually drift into
> criminal or dangerous territory.

Difficult to control? Yes. Criminal? Maybe sometimes. Dangerous?
Hardly.

> AUK and their behavior reached a level of excess and had a
> slight correction (law suit) but the group think coming from
> mentally toxic misfits is stubborn.

Was it appealed? There was a lawsuit years ago that involved one
of the skiing groups. Apparently some little judge gagged one of
the posters. There is no question in my mind that if anything like
that were appealed, it would be quickly overturned.

> The psychology of "playground bullies" and the dynamics of how
> groups BADLY respond to them, ignoring or "joining in"
> fascinates me.

Bullying on the Internet is no more of a problem than bullying in
real life. The difference is that conventional bullying does not
work on the Internet.

I do not know if and how it could be done, but what UseNet needs
is a fixed ID for every persona, independent of Internet service
provider. Personally, I could not care less who you are in real
life (if you want to advertise that info, fine). All that matters
is how you act here on UseNet. That is why nym-shifting sucks IMO.

UseNet is the wisdom and folly of the world.
--

See also Google Groups

From: JosephKK on
On 11 Aug 2010 09:43:48 GMT, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>> The psychology of "playground bullies" and the dynamics of how
>> groups BADLY respond to them, ignoring or "joining in"
>> fascinates me.
>
>Bullying on the Internet is no more of a problem than bullying in
>real life. The difference is that conventional bullying does not
>work on the Internet.
>
>I do not know if and how it could be done, but what UseNet needs
>is a fixed ID for every persona, independent of Internet service
>provider. Personally, I could not care less who you are in real
>life (if you want to advertise that info, fine). All that matters
>is how you act here on UseNet. That is why nym-shifting sucks IMO.
>
>UseNet is the wisdom and folly of the world.

Actually, after some time NymShifting ceases to work. The character
of the post is even more reliable ID. Much like Bill SlowBot.