From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:51:22 -0400, "LVTravel" <noone(a)none.com> wrote:

> "meyers" <jmeyers(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am talking about Service-Packs (sp1,2,3) information. Quick easy way to
> > find out what SP is active on any computer; xp,98se,vista.
> >
> > For the heck of it, I ran msinfo32, certainly not on the opening page.
> > DxDiag?
> > SysTools?
> > MyComp, Properties, C:drive?
> > Device Mgr?
> >
> > So, just wondering where a person could put this info at their fingertips,
> > nice and easy and simply. (and of course, how many different places have
> > this info, and how to get to them.)
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Easiest way is to right click My Computer or Computer (depending on XP or
> Vista/Win7) and then left click Properties.

It's essentially the same thing, but slightly easier for most people
is to hold down the Windows key and press Pause | Break.

> This will give the SP level, OS
> and more information.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Jose on
On Apr 3, 8:44 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 8:55 am, meyers <jmey...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I am talking about Service-Packs (sp1,2,3) information. Quick easy way
> > to find out what SP is active on any computer; xp,98se,vista.
>
> > For the heck of it, I ran msinfo32, certainly not on the opening page.
> > DxDiag?
> > SysTools?
> > MyComp, Properties, C:drive?
> > Device Mgr?
>
> > So, just wondering where a person could put this info at their
> > fingertips, nice and easy and simply. (and of course, how many different
> > places have this info, and how to get to them.)
>
> > Thanks.

If you are trying to get information to help someone with a problem or
to relay, the winver information is very limited.

Ask your average Jose to look at winver and then if they are running
XP Home or Pro - they can't tell you, so you have to ask another
question and still may not get the correct answer. Minimize the
number questions and be 100% certain with the information. No
interpretation, no I''m not sure, no think it is Pro, etc.

msinfo32 will give you all the winver information and a whole lot more
preventing unnecessary information gathering message cycles..

From: LVTravel on

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:51:22 -0400, "LVTravel" <noone(a)none.com> wrote:
>

>> "meyers" <jmeyers(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am talking about Service-Packs (sp1,2,3) information. Quick easy way
>> > find out what SP is active on any computer; xp,98se,vista.
>> >
>> > For the heck of it, I ran msinfo32, certainly not on the opening page.
>> > DxDiag?
>> > SysTools?
>> > MyComp, Properties, C:drive?
>> > Device Mgr?
>> >
>> > So, just wondering where a person could put this info at their
>> > fingertips,
>> > nice and easy and simply. (and of course, how many different places
>> > have
>> > this info, and how to get to them.)
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Easiest way is to right click My Computer or Computer (depending on XP or
>> Vista/Win7) and then left click Properties.
>

> It's essentially the same thing, but slightly easier for most people
> is to hold down the Windows key and press Pause | Break.
>

>> This will give the SP level, OS
>> and more information.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Yep, except some people just hate "shortcut keys" or totally forget they
exist.

From: meyers on

--
Yes, I do apologise, this was posted on a 98. But the question was an
xp question.

I have found a few answers now that are good to know, I appreciate them.
(similar to other posts, its for a 'friend' that I ask.)
From: meyers on
LVTravel wrote:

>> So, just wondering where a person could put this info at their
>> fingertips, nice and easy and simply. (and of course, how many
>> different places have this info, and how to get to them.)
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Easiest way is to right click My Computer or Computer (depending on XP
> or Vista/Win7) and then left click Properties. This will give the SP
> level, OS and more information.

Great! Thanks.