From: tedd on
Hi gang:

The subject line says it all.

How secure is a .htaccess file to store passwords and other sensitive stuff?

Can a .htaccess file be viewed remotely?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Robert Cummings on
On 10-08-17 04:17 PM, tedd wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> The subject line says it all.
>
> How secure is a .htaccess file to store passwords and other sensitive stuff?
>
> Can a .htaccess file be viewed remotely?

It depends on the server configuration. I think for the most part apache
servers disable viewing these files by default. But, in any event, when
these include access restriction, I always point it at a user/password
file outside the web tree.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
From: Peter Lind on
On 17 August 2010 22:17, tedd <tedd(a)sperling.com> wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> The subject line says it all.
>
> How secure is a .htaccess file to store passwords and other sensitive stuff?
>
> Can a .htaccess file be viewed remotely?

No, Apache won't serve it.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Robert Cummings on

On 10-08-17 04:23 PM, Peter Lind wrote:
> On 17 August 2010 22:17, tedd<tedd(a)sperling.com> wrote:
>> Hi gang:
>>
>> The subject line says it all.
>>
>> How secure is a .htaccess file to store passwords and other sensitive stuff?
>>
>> Can a .htaccess file be viewed remotely?
>
> No, Apache won't serve it.

It's a configuration setting though, and not a hard-coded feature.

#
# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
# viewed by Web clients.
#
<FilesMatch "^\.ht">
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
Satisfy All
</FilesMatch>

Cheers,
Rob.
From: Peter Lind on
On 17 August 2010 22:35, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:

> On 10-08-17 04:23 PM, Peter Lind wrote:
>>
>> On 17 August 2010 22:17, tedd<tedd(a)sperling.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi gang:
>>>
>>> The subject line says it all.
>>>
>>> How secure is a .htaccess file to store passwords and other sensitive
>>> stuff?
>>>
>>> Can a .htaccess file be viewed remotely?
>>
>> No, Apache won't serve it.
>
> It's a configuration setting though, and not a hard-coded feature.

Set by default in your apache2.conf file which you're rather unlikely
to mess with as that is not how you're setting up sites.

Regards
Peter