From: tedd on
Hi gang:

>At 6:11 PM -0400 8/13/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
> Easiest method, from the command line on the server from which you
>want to dump the database:
>
> mysqldump -u user -p database_name > outfile.sql

That might be the easiest, but all I get is an empty file.

I've tried many different variations of the syntax using exec(), but
nothing produces any subsistent output. What am I doing wrong?

As for accessing a command line, I am still in the dark as to how to do that.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Robert Cummings on

On 10-08-17 02:08 PM, tedd wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
>> At 6:11 PM -0400 8/13/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
>> Easiest method, from the command line on the server from which you
>> want to dump the database:
>>
>> mysqldump -u user -p database_name> outfile.sql

Command is wrong... should be:

mysqldump -u user -p password database_name > outfile.sql

> That might be the easiest, but all I get is an empty file.
>
> I've tried many different variations of the syntax using exec(), but
> nothing produces any subsistent output. What am I doing wrong?

Have you checked the return code of running exec? It may be the
mysqldump program isn't in your path.

> As for accessing a command line, I am still in the dark as to how to do that.

In windows you can do Start -> Run -> cmd.exe to load the command prompt
terminal. You could probably put the above mysqldump command directly
into the run prompt, but I don't know what it's default path is... but a
small tweak might be:

C:\PATH\TO\mysqlump -u user -p password database_name > C:\outfile.sql

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
From: tedd on
At 2:17 PM -0400 8/17/10, Robert Cummings wrote:
>On 10-08-17 02:08 PM, tedd wrote:
>>Hi gang:
>>
>>>At 6:11 PM -0400 8/13/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
>>> Easiest method, from the command line on the server from which you
>>>want to dump the database:
>>>
>>> mysqldump -u user -p database_name> outfile.sql
>
>Command is wrong... should be:
>
> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name > outfile.sql

I did catch that, but did not correct it in my post (considering it
was a direct quote).

-------

>>That might be the easiest, but all I get is an empty file.
>>
>>I've tried many different variations of the syntax using exec(), but
>>nothing produces any subsistent output. What am I doing wrong?
>
>Have you checked the return code of running exec? It may be the
>mysqldump program isn't in your path.

No, I didn't -- however, I just did this (using the correct user,
password, and database name):

exec('mysqldump -u user -p password databaseName > outfile.txt',$a,$b);

And received back an empty array for $a and '2' for $b. I don't know
what that means.

-------
>>As for accessing a command line, I am still in the dark as to how to do that.
>
>In windows you can do Start -> Run -> cmd.exe to load the command
>prompt terminal. You could probably put the above mysqldump command
>directly into the run prompt, but I don't know what it's default
>path is... but a small tweak might be:
>
> C:\PATH\TO\mysqlump -u user -p password database_name > C:\outfile.sql

I'm neither on Windozes nor the host. I am on a hosted account and
that may be the problem. However, I've been told that I *can* access
the command line, I am just clueless as to how to do it.

In the past I have been reluctant to try because I don't want to
screw things up. You see, it's Okay if I screw up my own system, but
someone else's, I would rather not. However, I would like to know how
to do it safely.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Mari Masuda on

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:40 AM, tedd wrote:

> At 2:17 PM -0400 8/17/10, Robert Cummings wrote:
>> On 10-08-17 02:08 PM, tedd wrote:
>>> Hi gang:

>> Command is wrong... should be:
>>
>> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name > outfile.sql
>

> I did catch that, but did not correct it in my post (considering it was a direct quote).
>
> -------

Actually,

mysqldump -u user -p password database_name > outfile.sql

is also the incorrect command. When providing the password in the command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual password. Try

mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name > outfile.sql

and see if that gets you anywhere.
From: Robert Cummings on
On 10-08-17 02:45 PM, Mari Masuda wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:40 AM, tedd wrote:

>>> Command is wrong... should be:
>>>
>>> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name> outfile.sql
>>

>> I did catch that, but did not correct it in my post (considering it was a direct quote).
>>
>> -------
>
> Actually,
>
> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name> outfile.sql
>
> is also the incorrect command. When providing the password in the command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual password. Try
>
> mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name> outfile.sql
>
> and see if that gets you anywhere.

That's actually funny... I never put spaces in for the user or password
when using the short parameter method and had quickly tried with the
space before posting... I had tried with the user though and it work so
I had assumed it worked for password also.

Cheers,
Rob.