From: David Hutto on
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:
> On 10-08-17 02:45 PM, Mari Masuda wrote:

>>> I did catch that, but did not correct it in my post (considering it was a
>>> direct quote).
>>>
>>> -------
>>
>> Actually,
>>
>>        mysqldump -u user -p password database_name>  outfile.sql
>>
>> is also the incorrect command.  When providing the password in the
>> command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual
>> password.  Try
>>
>>        mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name>  outfile.sql
>>
>> and see if that gets you anywhere.
>
> That's actually funny... I never put spaces in for the user or password when
> using the short parameter method and had quickly tried with the space before
> posting

'Playful with passwords the hacker does not expect', says yoda

.... I had tried with the user though and it work so I had assumed it

From: David Hutto on
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM, David Hutto <smokefloat(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:

>>> Actually,
>>>
>>>        mysqldump -u user -p password database_name>  outfile.sql
>>>
>>> is also the incorrect command.  When providing the password in the
>>> command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual
>>> password.  Try
>>>
>>>        mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name>  outfile.sql
>>>
>>> and see if that gets you anywhere.
>>
>> That's actually funny... I never put spaces in for the user or password when
>> using the short parameter method and had quickly tried with the space before
>> posting
>
> 'Playful with passwords the hacker does not expect', says yoda
>
> ... I had tried with the user though and it work so I had assumed it
>> worked for password also.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>> --
>> E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
>> attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
>> This message is intended solely for the addressee(s). Disclosure,
>> copying, and distribution are prohibited unless authorized.
>>
>> --

Or playfulness he expects, but privacy he reaps, said her celibate highness
From: Robert Cummings on
On 10-08-17 03:00 PM, David Hutto wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Robert Cummings<robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:

>>> Actually,
>>>
>>> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name> outfile.sql
>>>
>>> is also the incorrect command. When providing the password in the
>>> command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual
>>> password. Try
>>>
>>> mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name> outfile.sql
>>>
>>> and see if that gets you anywhere.
>>
>> That's actually funny... I never put spaces in for the user or password when
>> using the short parameter method and had quickly tried with the space before
>> posting
>
> 'Playful with passwords the hacker does not expect', says yoda

I can't wait for 2050 when they release the new Star Wars super duper
master awesome director's milk-it edition with 3 seconds of Yoda smoking
a cigarette!

>:)

Cheers,
Rob.
From: David Hutto on
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:
> On 10-08-17 03:00 PM, David Hutto wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Robert Cummings<robert(a)interjinn.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> That's actually funny... I never put spaces in for the user or password
>>> when
>>> using the short parameter method and had quickly tried with the space
>>> before
>>> posting
>>
>> 'Playful with passwords the hacker does not expect', says yoda
>
> I can't wait for 2050 when they release the new Star Wars super duper master
> awesome director's milk-it edition with 3 seconds of Yoda smoking a
> cigarette!

But they'll put it in a pretty 'Happy meal', with lighter included.

From: tedd on
At 11:45 AM -0700 8/17/10, Mari Masuda wrote:
>Actually,
>
> mysqldump -u user -p password database_name > outfile.sql
>
>is also the incorrect command. When providing the password in the
>command, there should not be a space between the "-p" and the actual
>password. Try
>
> mysqldump -u user -ppassword database_name > outfile.sql
>
>and see if that gets you anywhere.

Bingo -- that worked.

It's interesting that a space is optional between -u and user, but
required to be absent between -p and password. Seems not symmetrical
to me.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

tedd