From: Nick Theodorakis on
On Mar 12, 6:06 pm, "Jim" <j.coll...(a)cross-comp.com> wrote:
> I know this topic is old, but has anyone found a way to center a
> Web page in IE8 without turning on Compatibility Mode that
> also centers the page in earlier versions of IE and of course
> works in Firefox, etc?
>
> Jim

This is really a stylesheet question, so followups set accordingly.

Assuming you mean to horizontally center the content, the way to do it
is to make the left and right margins equal. One way is simply to
apply the same width to the left and right margins, but allow the
content to adjust. For example, in your stylesheet you might use:

body
{
margin: 0 10%;
}

Alternatively, define the width of the content and let the margins be
set to auto:

body
{
width: 80%;
margin: 0 auto;
}

The first will center the body content in most browsers, new and old,
in both standards and quirks mode, whereas the second will need to be
in standards mode in modern browsers.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis(a)hotmail.com
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Mason C wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:57:05 -0800 (PST), Nick Theodorakis<nick.theodorakis(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 12, 6:06 pm, "Jim"<j.coll...(a)cross-comp.com> wrote:
>>> I know this topic is old, but has anyone found a way to center a
>>> Web page in IE8 without turning on Compatibility Mode that
>>> also centers the page in earlier versions of IE and of course
>>> works in Firefox, etc?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> This is really a stylesheet question, so followups set accordingly.
>>
>> Assuming you mean to horizontally center the content, the way to do it
>> is to make the left and right margins equal. One way is simply to
>> apply the same width to the left and right margins, but allow the
>> content to adjust. For example, in your stylesheet you might use:
>>
>> body
>> {
>> margin: 0 10%;
>> }
>>
>> Alternatively, define the width of the content and let the margins be
>> set to auto:
>>
>> body
>> {
>> width: 80%;
>> margin: 0 auto;
>> }
>>
>> The first will center the body content in most browsers, new and old,
>> in both standards and quirks mode, whereas the second will need to be
>> in standards mode in modern browsers.
>>
>> Nick
>
> Neither of them center for me but this works for my 800px-wide page:

> but I'm puzzled by the whole centering thing. Should one center or not?

Just how did either of Nick's examples fail you? Either set the width on
a block AND set margins to auto, or set margins with the same value AND
have the blocks width set to auto (default).

<head>
<title>template</title>

body
{
margin: 0 10%;
}
{
background-color: #eee;
}

</head>

<em>There should be even margins both left and right sides of this
paragraph.</em> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
elit. Ut commodo volutpat augue. Morbi hendrerit, lorem vel iaculis
congue, orci est vehicula mi, scelerisque hendrerit urna leo tempus
justo. Integer lacinia, dolor id lacinia pulvinar, lacus odio tempus
mauris, sit amet porta eros justo id mauris. Nam dolor erat, cursus non,
fringilla commodo, convallis scelerisque, massa. Duis ac ligula. Nulla
aliquet. Vivamus porttitor ligula dictum elit. Ut sagittis pede non
lectus. Ut interdum eleifend felis. Donec erat lectus, venenatis at,
accumsan non, eleifend ac, nibh. Praesent hendrerit tempor eros. In
vulputate fringilla felis.

or

<head>
<title>Set Margin</title>

body { margin: 0 10%; }
p { background-color: #eee; }

</head>
<em>There should be even margins both left and right sides of this
paragraph.</em> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
elit. Ut commodo volutpat augue. Morbi hendrerit, lorem vel iaculis
congue, orci est vehicula mi, scelerisque hendrerit urna leo tempus
justo. Integer lacinia, dolor id lacinia pulvinar, lacus odio tempus
mauris, sit amet porta eros justo id mauris. Nam dolor erat, cursus non,
fringilla commodo, convallis scelerisque, massa. Duis ac ligula. Nulla
aliquet. Vivamus porttitor ligula dictum elit. Ut sagittis pede non
lectus. Ut interdum eleifend felis. Donec erat lectus, venenatis at,
accumsan non, eleifend ac, nibh. Praesent hendrerit tempor eros. In
vulputate fringilla felis.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Mason C on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:10:06 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

forgive the top post, purists.

My page has a fixed width: sized boxes in columns on left and right and an image in the center.

The "margin: 0 10%" does not center it except by accident. I think that works only if the page width is flexible.

I can center, but *should* I ?
Or should I let it reside on the left side of the screen as so many pages do?

MasonC