From: Mason C on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:57:05 -0800 (PST), Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodorakis(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 12, 6:06�pm, "Jim" <j.coll...(a)cross-comp.com> wrote:
>> I know this topic is old, but has anyone found a way to center a
>> Web page in IE8 without turning on Compatibility Mode that
>> also centers the page in earlier versions of IE and of course
>> works in Firefox, etc?
>>
>> Jim
>
>This is really a stylesheet question, so followups set accordingly.
>
>Assuming you mean to horizontally center the content, the way to do it
>is to make the left and right margins equal. One way is simply to
>apply the same width to the left and right margins, but allow the
>content to adjust. For example, in your stylesheet you might use:
>
>body
>{
>margin: 0 10%;
>}
>
>Alternatively, define the width of the content and let the margins be
>set to auto:
>
>body
>{
>width: 80%;
>margin: 0 auto;
>}
>
>The first will center the body content in most browsers, new and old,
>in both standards and quirks mode, whereas the second will need to be
>in standards mode in modern browsers.
>
>Nick

Neither of them center for me but this works for my 800px-wide page:

but I'm puzzled by the whole centering thing. Should one center or not?

MasonC
From: Dr_KralNOSPAM on

>I see some pages spreading out with 18-inch lines so I must
>make the screen narrower to make reading possible. Very annoying.

Stop being a control freek!

The simplest way is to put a reasonable margin (8-13% each side) with
centered content. Let the USER adjust the width of the window to
his/her/its liking. Eighteen inch lines may be just right with 36pt font
size.

Basic fonts, size, colors are really for the user unless you have a good
reason to override what they want. I don't like YOUR font or size and I
want MY font and size. (And that goes the other way around.)

There are people who need 36pt size to read things. Other who must have
blue on yellow or white on black. And some who only can read serf and
others who only can read sans-serf.

What part of simple don't you understand?

A simple test for EVERY style that you set -- Why is this necessary? And
if you don't have a damn good answer then it is not.

Your page FAILS the zoom test by getting a horizontal scroll bar at large
sizes. And does not pass validation.

It seems that each page on your site has a different style -- like a
community effort.

If this was a "term paper project" do you think you would get a passing
grade?

P&E
From: Mason C on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:48:12 -0500, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

>>I see some pages spreading out with 18-inch lines so I must
>>make the screen narrower to make reading possible. Very annoying.
>
>Stop being a control freek!

I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about controlling but my own
screen not anyone else.

>The simplest way is to put a reasonable margin (8-13% each side) with
>centered content. Let the USER adjust the width of the window to
>his/her/its liking. Eighteen inch lines may be just right with 36pt font
>size.

Good point. I'm learning. Thanks

>Basic fonts, size, colors are really for the user unless you have a good
>reason to override what they want. I don't like YOUR font or size and I
>want MY font and size. (And that goes the other way around.)
>
>There are people who need 36pt size to read things. Other who must have
>blue on yellow or white on black. And some who only can read serf and
>others who only can read sans-serf.
>
>What part of simple don't you understand?

Simple manners?

>A simple test for EVERY style that you set -- Why is this necessary? And
>if you don't have a damn good answer then it is not.
>
>Your page FAILS the zoom test by getting a horizontal scroll bar at large
>sizes. And does not pass validation.

It is in process. Last time I tested: this morning -- it validated strict.

>It seems that each page on your site has a different style -- like a
>community effort.

Some of my pages date back to C64 and use ascii graphs for reasonable
update them. But some of those are still useful. You needn't look at them.

>If this was a "term paper project" do you think you would get a passing
>grade?

Doctor, you are getting overheated. And *please* post here. Do not e-mail.

(I will, one day and not here, ask for an overall critique of my site.)

MasonC
From: Mason C on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:48:12 -0500, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

> some web page design comments, some e-mailed.

Oh, by the way: I'm glad you read my book on homosexuality.

MasonC
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>> > Is the second sentence the whole of the content of your
>> > puzzlement about centring? If so, then here are some guidelines:
>> >
>> > 1. Generally do not centre body text, or sub headings.
>> > 2. There are no guidelines beyond 1.
>>
>> 1. Why not?
>
> If you don't know why not, it is going to be very hard to explain
> it to you. [...]

That would depend on whether you are able to provide a reasonable argument
or are just venting a lot of hot air. Rest assured that only because you
say so that does not make it right.

>> 2. Depends on what you mean by "centre".
>
> When you say anything, the truth of it depends on the meaning of
> the words.

Ahh, you eventually noticed. Now apply that to your own reasoning.

> Have you queried anything specific?

Have you?

PointedEars