From: dorayme on
In article <1526209.q0lBPeGtti(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> >> 1. Why not?
> >
> > If you don't know why not, it is going to be very hard to explain
> > it to you. [...]
>
> That would depend on whether you are able to provide a reasonable argument
> or are just venting a lot of hot air. Rest assured that only because you
> say so that does not make it right.

Do you really suppose that your last sentence is not thoroughly
known to me. It is like my own flesh and blood, so familiar am I
with it. I am married to it. We have grown old together. There
are children, grandchildren even... want some pictures?

But let's look at your first sentence above. Why would the
difficulty of explaining why it is not in general advisable to
have English body text anything but left aligned, be dependent on
my ability to provide a reasonable argument? It would be even
more difficult surely doing it with an unreasonable argument.
Please think more carefully before saying anything to me. I
accept reasoned remarks or pure insults, nothing fuzzily in
between two ears. Thank you in advance.

> >> 2. Depends on what you mean by "centre".
> >
> > When you say anything, the truth of it depends on the meaning of
> > the words.
>
> Ahh, you eventually noticed. Now apply that to your own reasoning.

Why eventually? What makes you think I have not *realised* this
all along. But there is a general question here: does anyone
apply this to their own reasoning? How does anyone *apply* any
logical constraint? Are there people who realise that a statement
and its negation cannot both be true but fail to *apply* this?
Really? There is some sort of algorithm here that some people
simply forget to *apply*?

> > Have you queried anything specific?
>
> Have you?

I queried the temptation that some people seem to have (it is not
very common among experienced page makers) to have body text
aligned: center. I queried the idea that there is a rule to tell
page makers when and when not to centre align things. Please
study the two rules I gave more carefully. They form an intimate
package and cannot be separated without loss. Thank you in
advance of the other thing I thanked you in advance for above.

--
dorayme
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
dorayme wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:

>> > If you don't know why not, it is going to be very hard to explain
>> > it to you. [...]
>>
>> That would depend on whether you are able to provide a reasonable
>> argument or are just venting a lot of hot air. Rest assured that only
>> because you say so that does not make it right.
>
> Do you really suppose that your last sentence is not thoroughly
> known to me. It is like my own flesh and blood, so familiar am I
> with it. I am married to it. We have grown old together. There
> are children, grandchildren even... want some pictures?
>
> But let's look at your first sentence above. Why would the
> difficulty of explaining why it is not in general advisable to
> have English body text anything but left aligned, be dependent on
> my ability to provide a reasonable argument? It would be even
> more difficult surely doing it with an unreasonable argument.
> Please think more carefully before saying anything to me. I
> accept reasoned remarks or pure insults, nothing fuzzily in
> between two ears. Thank you in advance.
> [snipped evasive action]

You have a rather long-winded and particularly impolite and uncalled-for
way of saying that you do not really have a point. I figured as much,
though.

PointedEars
From: dorayme on
In article <7909772.7sEU6C4ouq(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:

[... long winded and particularly impolite and uncalled for stuff
....]

> You have a rather long-winded and particularly impolite and uncalled-for
> way of saying that you do not really have a point. I figured as much,
> though.

What interests me this morning is not your blindness to the
rudeness dripping *from your own fingers*, but this: if you
figured as much, what was your real purpose in talking to me? You
were plotting against me - in advance! <g>

--
dorayme
From: Mason C on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:35:56 +1100, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>In article <7909772.7sEU6C4ouq(a)PointedEars.de>,
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:
>>
>[... long winded and particularly impolite and uncalled for stuff
>...]
>>
>> You have a rather long-winded and particularly impolite and uncalled-for
>> way of saying that you do not really have a point. I figured as much,
>> though.
>>

>What interests me this morning is not your blindness to the
>rudeness dripping *from your own fingers*, but this: if you
>figured as much, what was your real purpose in talking to me? You
>were plotting against me - in advance! <g>

and it all started from confusion between:

centering a page on the screen
centering text inside the page

sheeeeez

MasonC