From: Leah on
My boss and I are trying how to Cc someone in a message but to have the
attachments in the message not be delivered to that person, just the email
message itself. Is this possible?
From: VanguardLH on
Leah wrote:

> My boss and I are trying how to Cc someone in a message but to have the
> attachments in the message not be delivered to that person, just the email
> message itself. Is this possible?

One message gets sent to all the specified recipients.

The To, Cc, and Bcc *fields* shown in the UI for the e-mail client are
NOT used to define the recipients of an e-mail to the mail server. The
e-mail client may aggregate a list of recipients from those UI fields,
or it can use a separate list of recipients regardless what values were
entered in the To, Cc, and Bcc UI fields. That aggregate list of
recipients is used by the client to send a RCPT-TO command for each
recipient to the mail server. That list of RCPT-TO commands is what
tells the mail server where to send your e-mail. They are followed by
one - and just one - DATA command that contains the content of your
message. So *every* recipient gets the same one copy of your message
that you gave the mail server.

If you want different recipients to receive different e-mails then you
have to send them the different e-mails. Compose one copy of the e-mail
and send that to some of your recipients. Compose a different e-mail
and send that to the rest of your recipients. One way to do that would
be to send an e-mail without the attachment to one group of recipients.
Then resend the copy that got saved in the Sent Items folder, attach the
file, and wipe and specify a different group of recipients.