From: Cassandra Lee on
Adam's workaround:
At the moment I am thinking that if a task is completed in less than the
planned time, then I need to change the "Work" value to equal the final
"Actual Work" value.

is equivalent to Jan's solution:
Enter Actual Work and set Remaining Work to 0.

Both end up changing Work = Actual Work.

If the intent is to compare Actual Work to 'planned' work, the way to do it
is to save a baseline (i.e., Baseline Work) after the plan has been approved.

From: JulieS on
Hello Cassandra,

You've not quoted the previous threads, so we really cannot
address what Adam, nor Jan has said.

I am guessing you are trying to track data and compare actual
work to planned work. If so, yes, save a baseline before
tracking. You may then view Work Variance to see the difference
between baseline and actual work.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project